how do i save a linked pdf?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
ladyrae
Propeller Head

how do i save a linked pdf?

Post by ladyrae »

i haven't found anything in the flare help on this, although it is probably there somewhere and i'm missing it. ?

i want to add a link to a pdf that i've created outside flare, so the user can click on the link and the pdf will open. i've managed to create a link to where the pdf is saved on my local drive, that's fine, but that won't work when i build/publish the output (webhelp) and save it on the server. isn't there someplace inside my flare project that i can save the pdf, so that the link will refer to that location, and it will be included in my output folder?

thanks!
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: how do i save a linked pdf?

Post by KevinDAmery »

I'd put it in the Resources folder in your Flare project. Just make sure to update the link location to point to it there.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ladyrae
Propeller Head

Post by ladyrae »

thanks kevin!

yes that is what i thought i'd do, and i created a 'PDFs' folder in resources, however i'm not sure how to save the pdf into that folder. i don't see how to import it, i can't paste the file into the folder, and dragging does not work either. am i blind? ;) thanks.
ladyrae
Propeller Head

Post by ladyrae »

never mind - i just figured this out. if i right click on the folder there is an option to 'open folder in windows'. using windows explorer i can put the pdf file in the appropriate folder, and then it shows up in flare.
Skooter
Propeller Head

Post by Skooter »

I added *.pdf to an Import 'Include Files' list, but the PDF files are not picked up when you select ReImport (I submitted this as a software bug).

I wanted to emulate the MadCap online help Welcome topic which has links to various PDFs. I decided the best place to keep the PDFs would be under a new \Resources\Documents folder.
I added the include pattern *.pdf (Flare let's me specify my own pattern) but the ReImport does not pick up the PDF files in my project!
Someone's boring me. I think it's me.
Skooter
Propeller Head

Post by Skooter »

(My issue is to do with the Import from a Flare project not including *.PDF files - I thought it was sort of related to this post :) )
Someone's boring me. I think it's me.