Shortest product evaluation ever

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
eckel
Jr. Propeller Head

Shortest product evaluation ever

Post by eckel »

Downloaded and installed Flare. Started importing the Word document for which I consider buying Flare. Got this on my Windows XP with 3GB memory:
MsWord Importer (Internal Error): Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Shortest product evaluation ever

Post by forfear »

Hi!

The thing with most Word documents, is that they also tend to let you overlay Word Art or objects onto page.
Unfortunately Flare at this point, as do many competing authoring tools, don't handle these 'objects' very well.

There is a Flare/Blaze Importing best practices guide on the support page. its a helpful guide. this will help you. http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support

Perhaps try other documents that are styled in Word.

Remember, junk in, junk out. All typesetting importing applications require consistent formatting with styles since it specifies some structure in a document.

post your experiences...we'll help you work through it. i've had a few importing experiences as well.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by helen »

You may be interested to learn that this was in the Release Notes for 4.1 "throws System.OutOfMemory error during import from Word Fixed"

From http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... _Notes.htm

To abandon a trial of a product because you've run into an exception early on would be a mistake in my humble opinion. MadCap do listen and do fix things (see above). In addition, as forfear said, junk in, junk out - hang in there and do post your problems here. People will help where possible, it's one of the best peer support forums there is in my opinion.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

If you are having problems with the Trial version of Flare, I would contact your sales rep, or Send an email to Sales@madcapsoftware.com They can handle and troubleshoot alot of presales issues.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer