"Hiding" text in Word doc and bringing over to CHM

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Janet T
Jr. Propeller Head

"Hiding" text in Word doc and bringing over to CHM

Post by Janet T »

I have some hotspotted graphics in my CHM files, and I "hide" the links as a specific Word style in my Word documents.
Is it possible to retain this text unchanged when I import it into Flare? Currently, the < and > tags are converted to codes (< and > resp.) which are not then recognised by the browser.
I can change them using a find and replace with FAR but I'd rather not go through this step if can avoid it.
I will not be maintaining my Word docs in Flare. I am simply doing an import and CHM file creation each time.
Thanks
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: "Hiding" text in Word doc and bringing over to CHM

Post by wclass »

Hi Janet,

How exactly are you setting up the Word hidden styles? Are you using this to store the text of a hyperlink you want to use for the hotspot, like "<a href= ...>"?
I don't know how to stop Flare from converting these tags when they are just para text to the lt and gt codes, but, if you put in a real hyperlink field in the Word paragraph you can get the text of the hyperlink into the imported topic.

Does that help?

PS you can also do a global find/replace for this within Flare, which might be quicker than using FAR.

Cheers,
Margaret
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Janet T
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Janet T »

Thanks Margaret. I'll consider the Flare find and replace if nothing else can be done.
I've got lots of ordinary Word x-references (is that what you mean?) and they work well. These links are <a href...> and they go to files other than the one containing the hotspotted graphic.
This is my only remaining "problem" (I hope) with converting all my guides to using Flare.
Bye...
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Have you raised this question with MadCap Support? If you are seeing this issue due to cross references, chances are good somebody else has seen it as well, so maybe Support has a work around for you. If not, chances are good that somebody else will also have the same problem, in which case, they'll want to fix it so it isn't a problem going forward.

Anyway, let Support know about it.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog