do I have to have FrameMaker installed to convert to Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
dmaryon
Jr. Propeller Head

do I have to have FrameMaker installed to convert to Flare?

Post by dmaryon »

I just volunteered to help a doc team in another division of my company convert about 30 FrameMaker projects to Flare. They are brand new to Flare, I haven't used Frame for several years and don't have it on my computer. It appears that Flare won't even begin the conversion process unless I have FrameMaker installed. This is a basic question, but I can't find an answer in the Flare docs. Do I need to have FrameMaker installed on the same computer as Flare to convert these projects? or is there some way around this?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: do I have to have FrameMaker installed to convert to Flare?

Post by LTinker68 »

I'm pretty sure you do -- I know you have to have Word installed to be able to import a Word doc. I think it runs Frame in the background as it does the import so that it can query it for certain information.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
swills22
Propeller Head

Post by swills22 »

My experience is that you do have to have FrameMaker installed on the same system that's running Flare in order to do an import. And I believe it needs to be FrameMaker 8 or newer. (For sure it doesn't work with FrameMaker 6!)
Shelley
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I was faced with this before and what I did is install the demo version of Frame and my install of Flare into a VM. That did the trick for the import, which I had to do only once.