How to create / update skin?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
ktrax
Propeller Head

How to create / update skin?

Post by ktrax »

Few question regarding MadCap Flare 5 and skin usage...

1) How can I create my own skin? Can I do it outside of Flare?
2) I have new icons named exactly as they are named in Default skin. Can I somehow copy/paste them to Flare project folder so that I don't have to define each icon over Skin editor?

Ktrax
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to create / update skin?

Post by lacastle »

1) you can create your own skin in Flare by choosing Project > Add Skin. It looks like it's just an xml file, so you could edit it outside of Flare in a text editor, but the interface is so much easier because a lot of the skin options are flare-specific and easier to see visually with the editor.
2) new icons/images usually should go in the content\resources\images folder, and then you can browse for them in the skin editor from there. even if you replace the original files, you will still need to re-browse/re-select them in the editor. the images don't re-define themselves automatically. also, it's not really recommended to replace/get rid of original files in case you change your mind in the future.

there are a lot of good skins on the madcap website to use as a starting place when creating new skins. personally, i think it's easier to tweak a skin that i like parts of than to start from scratch (unless you specifically know what you want the skin to look like and you have experience with webhelp skins). (if you're doing html help skins, you have very few options to change.)
ktrax
Propeller Head

Post by ktrax »

lacastle wrote:1) you can create your own skin in Flare by choosing Project > Add Skin. It looks like it's just an xml file, so you could edit it outside of Flare in a text editor, but the interface is so much easier because a lot of the skin options are flare-specific and easier to see visually with the editor.
2) new icons/images usually should go in the content\resources\images folder, and then you can browse for them in the skin editor from there. even if you replace the original files, you will still need to re-browse/re-select them in the editor. the images don't re-define themselves automatically. also, it's not really recommended to replace/get rid of original files in case you change your mind in the future.

there are a lot of good skins on the madcap website to use as a starting place when creating new skins. personally, i think it's easier to tweak a skin that i like parts of than to start from scratch (unless you specifically know what you want the skin to look like and you have experience with webhelp skins). (if you're doing html help skins, you have very few options to change.)
Tnx for quick answer. I'm tweaking Default skin so I'll go along that way :)
cruitbuck
Propeller Head

Post by cruitbuck »

It would be nice if MC would publish the xml elements/names for skins. I'd love to make my own. There are parts and pieces I'd like to include.

BobB
Buck the Tech Writer
===keep thinking===
Love :flare:
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Perhaps add a feature request? They probably wouldn't have to do anything in the code but could add that information to their help, so shouldn't be too hard for them to do.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

What components are you looking to add?
Just you can add some skin components already, such as a menu proxy, search bar, search results, topic toolbar.
However, it doesn't go that far, and there are notable exceptions like the menu proxy isn't the same as the side nav (accordion) menu or the top nav (drop down) menu.

Anyway, like choccie says, put in a request if you can't find what you want.