Can't link stylesheet medium to target

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
jgoldstein
Propeller Head

Can't link stylesheet medium to target

Post by jgoldstein »

I must be missing something somewhere.

I have two targets in a project. Each target uses a different style sheet. One of the stylesheets has a medium that I want to use. However, when I look for that medium in the Advanced tab ofthe Target page, the medium doesn't display. Only the mediums from the stylesheet I don't want to use show up.

Yes, I've checkted that the stylesheet I selected for the target has the medium that I want.

Anyone else run into this problem?
Joan Goldstein
Principal Technical Writer
Unidesk Corporation
http://www.unidesk.com
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Can't link stylesheet medium to target

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Yes, I've had that one too. It seems to hang on to information from previously accessed stylesheets, which is a pain.

I did get over it though, but it was a while back so I can't promise this is what worked (tried all sorts of things!)

I know at some stage I moved the stylesheet I DIDN'T want to a completely different folder using Windows Explorer, then tried opening the project again. I know you shouldn't need to do that, but I was eventually able to get access to the media names in the stylesheet I DID want to use.

Hope that's the thing that worked.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Try editing the target in the text editor (rightclick on it, open with, internal text editor).
Happens quite often that there are data in those project files (skins, alias files, etc.) that don't show in their normal editors. Sometimes when strange things happen, I usually look at those files in text mode to find out and if yes, I edit the text.
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"
michaelgd58
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by michaelgd58 »

After searching the Flare help and countless online forums, I was about to give up on this medium issue, when I decided to do something that seemed unintuitive. I capitalized the "mobile" medium to "Mobile" and it now shows up in the Medium drop-down list on the Advanced tab of the Flare Target. Go figure. Here is how I came about the idea. The only mediums that automatically appear on the Advanced tab are (default) and print. As if these are the end-all to mediums. I had created another print medium since the print medium that comes with Flare applies to how a help topic looks when a user prints it. So the one I created I used for my PDF output. This one always showed up on the Advanced tab. Then I noticed something! I had capitalized the medium like so: PDFPrint. That's when I realized it might be the capitalization. And lo and behold, it was. I know it makes no sense, but MadCap needs to include this in their Targets user guide. Hope this helps anyone who comes across this problem.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

michaelgd58 wrote:After searching the Flare help and countless online forums, I was about to give up on this medium issue, when I decided to do something that seemed unintuitive. I capitalized the "mobile" medium to "Mobile" and it now shows up in the Medium drop-down list on the Advanced tab of the Flare Target. Go figure. Here is how I came about the idea. The only mediums that automatically appear on the Advanced tab are (default) and print. As if these are the end-all to mediums. I had created another print medium since the print medium that comes with Flare applies to how a help topic looks when a user prints it. So the one I created I used for my PDF output. This one always showed up on the Advanced tab. Then I noticed something! I had capitalized the medium like so: PDFPrint. That's when I realized it might be the capitalization. And lo and behold, it was. I know it makes no sense, but MadCap needs to include this in their Targets user guide. Hope this helps anyone who comes across this problem.
That's because the mediums "mobile" and "tablet" are Flare's built-in mediums used for responsive layouts, so you can't (and shouldn't) use either of these as the target's medium (on Advanced tab).

CSS is case-sensitive, so "Mobile" is different to "mobile", and that's why "Mobile" appears on the list. Styles in "Mobile" will be separate to "mobile" and will not be used for responsive layouts though.

Anyway, I wouldn't suggest using "Mobile", because it's going just going to cause confusion with the "mobile" medium.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

michaelgd58 wrote:After searching the Flare help and countless online forums, I was about to give up on this medium issue, when I decided to do something that seemed unintuitive. I capitalized the "mobile" medium to "Mobile" and it now shows up in the Medium drop-down list on the Advanced tab of the Flare Target. Go figure. Here is how I came about the idea. The only mediums that automatically appear on the Advanced tab are (default) and print. As if these are the end-all to mediums. I had created another print medium since the print medium that comes with Flare applies to how a help topic looks when a user prints it. So the one I created I used for my PDF output. This one always showed up on the Advanced tab. Then I noticed something! I had capitalized the medium like so: PDFPrint. That's when I realized it might be the capitalization. And lo and behold, it was. I know it makes no sense, but MadCap needs to include this in their Targets user guide. Hope this helps anyone who comes across this problem.
That's because the mediums "mobile" and "tablet" are Flare's built-in mediums used for responsive layouts, so you can't (and shouldn't) use either of these as the target's medium (on Advanced tab).

CSS is case-sensitive, so "Mobile" is different to "mobile", and that's why "Mobile" appears on the list. Styles in "Mobile" will be separate to "mobile" and will not be used for responsive layouts though.

Anyway, I wouldn't suggest using "Mobile", because it's going just going to cause confusion with the "mobile" medium.