Non-breaking characters

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Non-breaking characters

Post by Fiona »

Is it possible to tell Flare never to break on a hyphen, slash or backslash? I know that I can force individual hyphens to be non-breaking but I'm hoping that there's some way I can state these three specific non-breaking rules (important for the docs I'm writing and was v easy in FrameMaker, so got my fingers crossed for Flare...).

Thanks.
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Non-breaking characters

Post by Fiona »

Just checking back to see if anyone has any suggestions. I have lots of terms such as "]Display" that I need to write about, and have a line break after the right bracket is just plain wrong. I've tried inserting non-breaking zero-width spaces/word joiners (U+2060 / ⁠), I've played with "nowrap" and white-space, I've created a span class with a "keep together" instruction...none of these work. I'm definitely using the correct medium.

I've also tried putting a soft line break before the "]" character that only works in the pdf, but that means that the text is not future-proof and it doesn't prevent the issue from occurring in the online help.

Please, desperate now. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
Last edited by Fiona on Thu May 28, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lydia
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Lydia »

Fiona,
it might work with custom hyphenation rules. You will have a rule that has "*]*" for the Word and "*]*" for the rule definition in there. Normally you would give options of hyphenation in these rules. But this might work the other way (no hyphenation/break) either. As far as I know the hyphenation rules apply per language. So the language must be set for the text where you want to apply the rules.
Using Flare 10.2 and Flare 11 on Win 7
moshe
Propeller Head

Post by moshe »

Fiona wrote:Just checking back to see if anyone has any suggestions. I have lots of terms such as "]Display" that I need to write about, and have a line break after the right bracket is just plain wrong. I've tried inserting non-breaking zero-width spaces/word joiners (U+2060 / ⁠), I've played with "nowrap" and white-space, I've created a span class with a "keep together" instruction...none of these work. I'm definitely using the correct medium.

Please, desperate now. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
Hi Fiona,

How are you inserting the non-breaking characters into your topics? Are you using the Flare WYSIWYG ("XML") Editor? If so, I would suggest entering the non-breaking character codes directly into the XML using the Flare "Text Editor" instead.

Hope this helps.
Moshe Davis
Jerusalem, Israel
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Fiona »

Thanks for the suggestion Moshe but I've tried both XML and WYSIWYG and couldn't get it to work. However, Madcap have included a fix in version 12 that sorts it out, so I'm a Happy User on that front again!
autocart
Propeller Head

Post by autocart »

How can I insert a word joiner or similar special characters in the WYSIWYG editor?

I did not find it in the insert symbol dialog.
(Besides, it would be nice to have some way of differenciating similar looking symbols in this dialog, e.g. by extra display of its Unicode or similar.)

Do I really have to copy/paste it from some other (online) source?

I hope I do not have to go through the XML-view (resp. the "Text"-Editor :roll: ).

Regards, S.