Applying Style Sheet to Project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Christina
Propeller Head

Applying Style Sheet to Project

Post by Christina »

I can see instructions for how to apply a style sheet to a topic, you right click, and in topic properties, you select the style sheet you want to apply to that topic. But is there a way to apply a style sheet to the whole project at once, so I don't have to go through every topic? Thank you in advance.

P.S. Is apply a style sheet one topic at a time the way that it's done?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Applying Style Sheet to Project

Post by Nita Beck »

Two answers to your two questions, in reverse order.

If you wanted to apply a stylesheet to several topics in one operation, then you should switch the Content Explorer to "Show Files" mode by clicking the second from the left button on the Content Explorer's toolbar. That splits the Content Explorer into two panes. In the right pane, you can select multiple topics, right-click and select Properties, and then specify the stylesheet. You might also be able to use the File List to do the same (depending on how you sort the File List).

Re your first question: Stylesheets can be applied at the topic level, the target level, or the project level. For a target, on its General tab, look for the "Master Stylesheet" setting. Also, on the Advanced tab, make sure you've got the right "Stylesheet Medium" selected for that target.

To set the stylesheet at the project level, go to the Project ribbon and then click Project Properties. On the Defaults tab, set the "Master Stylesheet".

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Christina
Propeller Head

Post by Christina »

This does help a great deal. I knew there was a way, only I couldn't figure it out. :P
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Glad I could help, Christina. But let me give you a heads-up (and I know you're a newbie and I know I told you earlier today to relax as you learn).

For many years now, many of us Flare authors have assigned the stylesheet at the project or the target level, but not at the topic level. Doing so was so very convenient.

Now, with the introduction of Top Nav, for *some* implementations of Top Nav, the best practice is to assign topics at the topic level. But one cannot assign topics at the topic level IF a stylesheet is already assigned at the target or project level.

So, waaaay in your future Flare adventures, Christina, if you ever find yourself wanting to apply a stylesheet at the topic level, but Flare just refuses to give you the ability to do so, it's 'cause you've got a stylesheet set at the target or project level. :?

Tuck this bit of info away for future reference... When the time comes, think, "Now, what was it that Nita was saying about.... Oh, yeah!" :wink:
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Christina
Propeller Head

Post by Christina »

You are awesome and very helpful; I have tucked this info away for a rainy day when I know I will come across this issue. :)
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

NITA BECK
- Thank you for this info... you are a gift that keeps giving - even 3 years later!