How do I rotate text 90 degrees - vertical text

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
nickpierson
Jr. Propeller Head

How do I rotate text 90 degrees - vertical text

Post by nickpierson »

I need to rotate text by 90 degrees in a table cell. I am using Flare 11 and I would think this would be possible. I've noticed that people have been asking this question on the forum since 2007 but I've yet to see a solid answer.

I need the vertical text to ready bottom-to-top. Can someone please help me figure out how to do this with Flare 11? It is not easily discoverable in the properties of a cell so I don't know what else to try.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Nick
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: How do I rotate text 90 degrees - vertical text

Post by doc_guy »

This is not something Flare natively supports, but a quick web search suggests you should be able to modify your CSS to make this work:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... xt&es_th=1

Open your css style sheet in code view, and add the following to the bottom of the CSS:

Code: Select all

td.rotate {
-webkit-transform: rotate(270deg);
-moz-transform: rotate(270deg);
-o-transform: rotate(270deg);
writing-mode: lr-bt ;
}
Now go to the table cell where you want text rotated, and apply the 'rotate' class to that cell.

I haven't actually tried it in Flare, but it should work, at least in the output. I don't know what Flare's editor will look like, but the output should be fine.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I'd suspect that the CSS won't work, though, for print output. Test, test, test.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
J_Middleton
Propeller Head

Post by J_Middleton »

My solution was to create svg files with rotated text, then bring an svg image into each header cell in the table. Net result: being able to fit more table columns on pages. No code. I set the images to Conditional text "print-only" so they don't bloat embedded Help code I also must generate. I have two tables. One for the manuals and one for online Help content. The table header images only show in the manuals.

If you wanted to make more work, a person might make one table with both plain text and an image in the header cells. Set the plain text condition to "online-only" and set the images to "print-only." I may do that someday.

I found a way around the the limitations, after this experience: I see CSS positioning, transform: rotate is for HTML, not PDF output.
As suggested, I requested consideration for a new feature for rotating text in PDF output.

Flare 2018 14.0.6738.27462 6/13/2018 - 64 bit.
I saw in styles.css the option in "Positioning" to "transform": with 18-19 options, including "rotate"
CSS for HTML, not PDF output.
Last edited by J_Middleton on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I seem to remember from a recent presentation at MadWorld that this doesn't work for PDF output, but does for HTML5. So if it's something you need for your PDFs, click the "Feature Request" link in my signature below and ask for it. No guarantees that it'll be in the next release but you never know, we could be lucky, and asking won't do any harm. :)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx