Paragraph styles not available to map to during Word import

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
lisabarry
Propeller Head

Paragraph styles not available to map to during Word import

Post by lisabarry »

Hi,

I just set up a couple of new auto-number paragraph style classes for second and third level lists (p.ListNumber2 and p.ListNumber3). I assumed they would be available to map to when importing a Word document, but they don't appear to be available in the Flare Styles section (even though other styles such as p.ListNumber1 are).

I have Don't preserve track changes enabled and I am selecting the correct style sheet during the import.

Any ideas on how I can get these styles to show up?

Thanks,
Lisa
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Re: Paragraph styles not available to map to during Word imp

Post by paintedturtle »

Lisa, I'd recommend opening up your Word Import stylesheet in Notepad. Copy and paste another "map to" format and insert the new styles you want with and list the Word style you want them mapped from. Save and close and then those should show up in your Word Import screen in Flare.
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
lisabarry
Propeller Head

Post by lisabarry »

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, but the styles still don't seem to be available to map to.

Here is an excerpt of my import style sheet:

<Map From="List Number" To="p.ListNumber1" />
<Map From="List Number 2" To="p.ListNumber2" />
<Map From="List Number 3" To="p.ListNumber3" />

The ListNumber1 style shows up, but ListNumber2 and 3 do not. I tried looking in both that import file itself (in the Paragraph Styles section), and also when importing a new document.

I'm pretty sure I have the styles named exactly as they are in both Word and Flare. Am I doing something wrong? Any further suggestions?

Thanks,
Lisa
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Post by paintedturtle »

lisabarry wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, but the styles still don't seem to be available to map to.

Here is an excerpt of my import style sheet:

<Map From="List Number" To="p.ListNumber1" />
<Map From="List Number 2" To="p.ListNumber2" />
<Map From="List Number 3" To="p.ListNumber3" />

The ListNumber1 style shows up, but ListNumber2 and 3 do not. I tried looking in both that import file itself (in the Paragraph Styles section), and also when importing a new document.

I'm pretty sure I have the styles named exactly as they are in both Word and Flare. Am I doing something wrong? Any further suggestions?

Thanks,
Lisa
Hmm. Do you have those styles also listed in your default and all stylesheets within Flare?
lisabarry
Propeller Head

Post by lisabarry »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have this working now. I tried it in a separate project (I use one project as a "sandbox" and one as a "live" doc suite). It seems to be working in my live project - I'm not sure what the difference is. The styles appear to be in all mediums in my sandbox project too. But I'm happy it's working in live. Thanks for your help :-)
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Post by paintedturtle »

lisabarry wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have this working now. I tried it in a separate project (I use one project as a "sandbox" and one as a "live" doc suite). It seems to be working in my live project - I'm not sure what the difference is. The styles appear to be in all mediums in my sandbox project too. But I'm happy it's working in live. Thanks for your help :-)
Well, that's good! You're welcome.
jlavineway
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jlavineway »

Where can I find the import style sheet for Word?
mimisc
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mimisc »

For each doc that you import, Flare creates a unique style sheet.
In my project, I have 2 Resource folders.

One has my overall style sheet and the other holds the style sheets from all the Word docs I've imported.
If you scroll up, you should see a Resources folder with sub folders named after the docs you have imported. This is where you can edit the style sheet.