Headers and Footers in PDF Output - how to approach

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Madeline
Propeller Head

Headers and Footers in PDF Output - how to approach

Post by Madeline »

Just wondering how others approach headers and footers and styles for them generally.

We have PDF output with headers and footers with left and right aligned text in both:

Subject (left aligned) Chapter Title (right aligned)

Manual Title (left aligned) Page number (right aligned)

And the header and footer is a different colour for each chapter.

I'm assuming the best way to deal with left left aligned and right aligned issue is to insert a table into the headers and footers?

Then when it comes to style creation, I'll be creating style classes of the td style? But then I'm going to end up adding 10 style classes that are exactly the same other than the colour change which seems to got against the idea of inheriting styles.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Headers and Footers in PDF Output - how to approach

Post by wclass »

There are several ways to manage styles so it might depend on how you want to use them - under what conditions would you need to use a different colour?

For example, if you wanted to have a different look and feel for the output for different companies, I'd probably have a separate style sheet for each company that specified the different colours. That way, you'd only need to have one page layout with header/footer settings, and assign the appropriate stylesheet at the target level.

If you were using colour for some other reason, you might set up generic sub-classes for .red, .blue, etc and just add those when you wanted the table cell to be different.

We create a stylesheet called "basic.css" that stores most of our styles. We then have separate sheets that import everything from basic and then include some specific styles as needed. This second sheet is the one we link from the target.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne