Autonumbering inside autonumbering

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
msconduct10
Jr. Propeller Head

Autonumbering inside autonumbering

Post by msconduct10 »

We have a couple of numbered list styles that using the autonumbering style. On one particular page, I have a table within a numbered list, and that table has separate numbered lists in it. The numbered list that flanks the table latches on to the last numbered list in the table rather than the list that was above the table.

So, it's currently like:
TABLE
4. <<<This needs to be 6.
5. <<<This needs to be 7.

I tried putting the table in a <div> to separate it out, but that didn't make a difference.

Any ideas on how I can fake this out? Should I make new "table numbered list" styles? I just hate making new styles for weird, on-off situations.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Autonumbering inside autonumbering

Post by SteveS »

I'm assuming you are using the same variable for numbering inside and outside the table, so it will follow the last use unless it has been reset.

In that case you should create an autonumber style for use inside tables. You could also consider just using OL tags, unless the table is going to continue in different topics.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
msconduct10
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by msconduct10 »

Thanks, Steve,

So, I have two classes, "Numbered" and "Numbered1" for regular numbering and then for starting a new list on the same page back at #1. I copied and pasted these into my paragraph styles in the style sheet, renamed them "Numbered_Table" and "Numbered1_Table".

Unfortunately, after applying the new styles to the lists in the table, I'm still having the same problem of the numbering sequence continuing from within the table to the list that wraps around the table. Should I have created the new classes in some other way? I trying to be efficient and keep all the formatting the same across the numbering classes.

I can do the <ol> way, but kinda hate to let this win. :?
Stuart Johnston
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Stuart Johnston »

I use two separate counters for Listnums in body text and Listnums in tables.

Regular ListNums use a counter named L:

Code: Select all

p.ListNum
{
	mc-auto-number-format: 'L:{n+}.';
}

p.ListNumIndent
{
	mc-auto-number-format: 'L:{ }{n+}.';
}

p.ListNum_Alpha
{
	mc-auto-number-format: 'L:{ }{a+}.';
}
Whereas ListNums occurring in tables use a counter named S:

table p.ListNum
{
	/* Increment numbering for p.ListNums in tables. Separate counter (S) from normal p.ListNums (L) */
	mc-auto-number-format: 'S:{n+}.';
}
And I reset numbering for every cell in a table:

table td
{
	/* Restart numbering at each cell for p.ListNums in tables. Uses numbering sequence S: */
	mc-auto-number-format: 'S:{ =0}';
}
Note also, you don't really need Numbered1. Any autonumbered list after an H1, H2, H3, H4 should restart (as far as I recall). if you are using an autonumbered heading, instead of H4 for example, you can reset them in the same way:

p.Subhead
{
	mc-auto-number-format: 'L:{ =0}';
}