Aligning slideshows in page?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
lcarver
Propeller Head

Aligning slideshows in page?

Post by lcarver »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Flare, so please forgive me if there's an obvious answer to this question. I am using Flare's Slideshow feature to lay out some tutorials in my HTML5 output so that users can click through to see previous/next steps.

I like this feature a lot, but I cannot seem to get the slideshow positioned anywhere other than centered in the page when I generate output. There are multiple slideshows on the page and literally all of the other content in our output is going to be left-aligned, so I don't want this to stay centered.

I have tried the following:
- Putting the slideshow inside a div and table tags
- Forcing left-aligned inline formatting from the Home tab
- Changing pretty much every alignment/position-related setting I can find in the MadCap|Slideshow style to "Left"
- Creating a div tag with a "float left" setting, which caused text below the slideshows to overlap with the slides, and caused the little dots below the slideshows to also be aligned left (this is basically the only part of the slideshow feature that I want to remain centered relative to the slideshow borders)

I'm sure there is a simple way to do this that I'm just missing, but any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very experienced with CSS but have read a few things and can try adjusting the CSS if it's the only way to do this.

I recently came across this link that describes an object attribute that does this, which I think is exactly what I want, but it says this isn't supported in HTMl5 and suggests using CSS instead: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_object_align.asp. However, it recommends using "float" which already didn't go well for me. Can anybody tell me if this is what I need?

Thanks very much for any help!

Lexi
kydeck
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Aligning slideshows in page?

Post by kydeck »

lcarver wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to Flare, so please forgive me if there's an obvious answer to this question. I am using Flare's Slideshow feature to lay out some tutorials in my HTML5 output so that users can click through to see previous/next steps.

I like this feature a lot, but I cannot seem to get the slideshow positioned anywhere other than centered in the page when I generate output. There are multiple slideshows on the page and literally all of the other content in our output is going to be left-aligned, so I don't want this to stay centered.

I have tried the following:
- Putting the slideshow inside a div and table tags
- Forcing left-aligned inline formatting from the Home tab
- Changing pretty much every alignment/position-related setting I can find in the MadCap|Slideshow style to "Left"
- Creating a div tag with a "float left" setting, which caused text below the slideshows to overlap with the slides, and caused the little dots below the slideshows to also be aligned left (this is basically the only part of the slideshow feature that I want to remain centered relative to the slideshow borders)

I'm sure there is a simple way to do this that I'm just missing, but any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very experienced with CSS but have read a few things and can try adjusting the CSS if it's the only way to do this.

I recently came across this link that describes an object attribute that does this, which I think is exactly what I want, but it says this isn't supported in HTMl5 and suggests using CSS instead: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_object_align.asp. However, it recommends using "float" which already didn't go well for me. Can anybody tell me if this is what I need?

Thanks very much for any help!

Lexi
I've not used the slideshow feature in Madcap so this is definitely a shot in the dark, but traditionally in web dev elements are centered using the "margin" property so what might do the trick is writing a selector for the slideshow container and setting it's margin left and right to 0:

margin-left:0;
margin-right:0;
lcarver
Propeller Head

Post by lcarver »

No luck :( Thank you for the idea anyway!
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

Okay, I'm a year-and-a-half late with this, but just in case someone else finds this thread while trying to solve the same problem...
The answer is to edit the MadCap|slideshow style, and configure Block > text-align: to "left".
MPlatt
Propeller Head

Post by MPlatt »

Bedford's solution left aligns the content of the slides but not the slideshow as a whole.

I'm trying to do fixed width left-align but the slideshow as a whole is firmly centered no matter what.