TocEntry - Styles - Skin Editor

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
amycatesch
Propeller Head

TocEntry - Styles - Skin Editor

Post by amycatesch »

Hi, I would like to create a visual break between categories of items in the TOC on the left navigation bar. I'm using the standard HTML5 - Side Navigation skin.

I thought I might be able to do this by creating a new style class for the side bar items and set a large top margin, and then select that new style class in the TOC for the first topic in a category. I noticed on the TOC entry properties dialog, it says to "see 'TocEntry' in the Styles section in the Skin Editor.' But if I open the skin editor and select the "Styles" tab, I do not see any such thing. I see these sections: Global, Header, Side Navigation, and Search Results. None of these sections includes TocEntry or anything similar.

I'd appreciate any help. I have a feeling I'm going to feel dumb when somebody explains what I'm doing wrong here or gives me a smarter way to accomplish my goal, but I'm stuck, so I've got to ask.

Thanks much!
Amy
sdriggars
Propeller Head

Re: TocEntry - Styles - Skin Editor

Post by sdriggars »

If I understand your question correctly, it may be that you are looking for the wrong thing.

I am also using HTML5 Side Nav output. In the skin, under Side Navigation, there is an option for Side Navigation Menu Item. What I did was put a 1px colored bottom border under the Side Navigation Menu Item. This puts a line beneath each TOC heading that appears in the side menu, which gives me the separation I wanted.
--Stephen
amycatesch
Propeller Head

Post by amycatesch »

Thank you for the reply, but that doesn't address my question. I also saw how to create that line adjust the height, etc. for every menu item in the TOC. I am taking advantage of that. I want a wider break or different line or some other visual break between sections of the TOC - not just every menu item. But groupings of menu items.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I think I get you - are you after a line (or extra space or something similar) between, say, your first-level headings, with your second-level headings being nice and close?

You can do this by adding space (or line or whatever) to the first-level heading only. To add a line, adjust the Border setting, to make a space between, adjust the top or bottom margin or padding (sorry, they always confuse me).
Side-nav.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
ArdisRamey
Propeller Head

Post by ArdisRamey »

It sounds to me more like amycatesch is looking for a way to create visual groups of 1st level TOC items by listing a few, then a break, then a few more, then a break, then a few more. If that's indeed more in line with your needs, I'm sure there's a way to do that and hopefully someone can help you achieve it.

As for your other concern (that documentation tells you to look in a specific place for settings that are in face elsewhere entirely), all I can say is that I've encountered that issue a lot with Flare's documentation, and I hope there's a method by which we can give them feedback so that these apparent errors can be fixed in the future.

Good luck with your development!
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

You may be looking for this awesome blog post...
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I followed this https://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/201 ... cap-flare/ by the same person and I can report it works nicely in top nav.
jjorissen
Propeller Head

Post by jjorissen »

Hi, this doesn't seem to work any longer? (in Flare 2022 r2)

We're using side navigation - tried to add a styleclass as mentioned here (tried both side navigation & top navigation) : https://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/enh ... cap-flare/
But it doesn't appear in the style class drop-down of the TOC entries.

Any ideas?

Example of added style :
<Style
Name="TocEntry">
<Classes>
<StyleClass
Name="CustomTOCstyle"
Custom="true">
<Properties>
<Property
Name="FontSize">1em</Property>
</Properties>