Vertical alignment of DIVs in page layout

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Niels
Propeller Head

Vertical alignment of DIVs in page layout

Post by Niels »

I use two DIVs in a page layout to present left-floating information in a footer together with a right floating page number:
<xhtml:div xhtml:class="fusszeile_content">lots of stuff here with variables which may break into a second line</xhtml:div>
<xhtml:div xhtml:class="fusszeile_pagenum"><MadCap:variable xhtml:name="System.PageNumber" />
CSS styles involved:
div.fusszeile_content
{
float: left;
}
div.fusszeile_pagenum
{
float: right;
}
I want to align the outcome in PDF output, but
  • neither setting for vertical-alignment (baseline or top) shows any effect
  • I do not see what kind of alignment is in place by default: The elements are not aligned in any way vertically
vertical alignment of two divs in footer via page layout.png
What am I missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Vertical alignment of DIVs in page layout

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

What do you have for top margin and padding on your divs? Do either of the divs you showed us code for also include top margin or padding values? If so, that could be the problem.

Alternatively I can offer a more basic solution that might do the trick for you. In our page layouts, we use a table in which the content of the first cell is left-aligned and the content in the second cell is right-aligned.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

+1 for using a table in this situation.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

What do you have for top margin and padding on your divs? Do either of the divs you showed us code for also include top margin or padding values?
What do you mean with "also include"? The world outside of the brackets is a mysterious one being influenced by complex inheritance rules, I suppose. Everything should be the MadCap Flare default in the "outlaws" :)
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

@tomdocs:
When I was doing my careful research, every modern source told me that DIV is the new way, and table is the old one ;)
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Hi Niels, yes, you are right to follow that guidance. But there might be some exceptions, and this might be one :D
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Niels wrote:
What do you have for top margin and padding on your divs? Do either of the divs you showed us code for also include top margin or padding values?
What do you mean with "also include"? The world outside of the brackets is a mysterious one being influenced by complex inheritance rules, I suppose. Everything should be the MadCap Flare default in the "outlaws" :)
I was wondering if you'd edited the bits of your CSS that you'd quoted, but it seems you hadn't. (Basically, I was just thrashing about looking to find possible causes, but that's not one.)

Would it be worth specifying "margin-top" or "padding-top" in your div, or maybe even "vertical-align" in "<MadCap | variable>"? It's possible that one is has "vertical-align: top;" as its default and a div has "vertical-align: center;" as default. Worth having a play, it'd be quick to do and undo.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

Thanks for your tips. I use a table now as suggested. It seems much easier to control indeed (in particular in this context of the footer frame).
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

A lot of sadness remains, nevertheless. Not specifically by this one incident but just by the "generally suggested" happiness of "single source publishing".

:-(