How Do I Shut Off Breadcrumbs in my HTML5 Doc?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
mcollinsCAKC
Jr. Propeller Head

How Do I Shut Off Breadcrumbs in my HTML5 Doc?

Post by mcollinsCAKC »

Hello All-

I am a new technical writer for a software company. I have used other documentation tools, but I am new to MCF and I have inherited an existing HTML5-based User Guide from a departed writer.

My predecessor had the guide set up with a breadcrumb trail at the top of every topic page and a TOC in which none of the Top-Level topics were linked to an actual topic. I am restructuring the guide with Top-Level TOC topics linked to actual topics and no breadcrumb trails.

My Problem: Linking Top-Level links to actual topics and having subtopics under that topic causes breadcrumb hyperlinks and other hyperlinks to appear at the bottom of the Top-Level topic. I cannot figure out how to remove all of these hyperlinks and breadcrumbs.

I have attached screencaptures to help explain this.
MCF1.JPG
In the first capture is the TOC organization of these three topics. Each is linked to an actual topic file.
MCF2.JPG
The second capture is of the actual Top Level topic in the compiled HTML5 guide. I want to eliminate that "You are here:..." breadcrumb trail and the two hyperlinks at the bottom of the screen that are generated and placed into the doc automatically. However I cannot figure out how to do this.
MCF3.JPG
I also want to eliminate the breadcrumb trail that appears in the sub level topic in Capture 3.

Can anyone help me? I'm feeling like a lost newbie here.

Thanks-
Michael

P.S. I am using the latest version of MCF 2018
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveMags
Propeller Head

Re: How Do I Shut Off Breadcrumbs in my HTML5 Doc?

Post by DaveMags »

Hi Michael - Welcome to Flare :)

So your Flare project will have at least one MasterPage. That controls the general appearance and structure of all the topics assigned to that MasterPage. You'll need to edit this page.

From the Content Explorer folders, go to Resources > MasterPages and open your MasterPage. If you have more than one, you'll need to edit the one that controls your topics. In that MasterPage is an element called a Breadcrumbs proxy. Right-click on it and select Delete. For those two links at the bottom, that, I believe, is probably a Mini TOC proxy, or possibly a Menu proxy. Do the same thing on that - right-click > Delete. Save it and run a build and you should see those two elements are gone.

Here's a link to Flare's help site that talks about adding a breadcrumb proxy. You're just doing the reverse and removing it. http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... crumbs.htm

If you need more details on any of those steps, let me know.

I started using Flare about 8 months ago and it took some getting used to, but you'll get there. It helped me a lot to create a separate test project that I could use as a playground of sorts to try things and play with different features, etc. You might find that useful. Good luck!
mcollinsCAKC
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: How Do I Shut Off Breadcrumbs in my HTML5 Doc?

Post by mcollinsCAKC »

Hello DaveMags-

Thanks for the tip: that worked like a charm and I'm back on track.

I think I will set up a test project like you suggest. I need a safe place to experiment with these bells and whistles. :D

Thanks again, much appreciated-

Michael