Create a Two-Column Master Page (solved!)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
ArdisRamey
Propeller Head

Create a Two-Column Master Page (solved!)

Post by ArdisRamey »

I'm trying to follow Flare's documented instructions (http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... c-Menu.htm) for setting a Menu Proxy, and am completely stymied. Every instance of this documentation I can find says "If your master page is configured to use one column, where text appears under the side menu, you will need to make changes to your master page accordingly. The easiest way to do this is to import a 2-column (i.e., fixed menu) master page from one of Flare’s Top Navigation project templates."

However, nowhere in any documentation can I find any mention of how to create a 2-column master page, if for any reason you don't want to or can't import one from one of these project templates.

How does one create a two-column Master Page to complete these instructions?
Last edited by ArdisRamey on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Create a Two-Column Master Page

Post by TR Lisa »

I just followed step by step from this topic and did the import and I still don't have a 2-column master page. Looks exactly like every other master page in my project.

http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... MasterPage

Why does this have to be so hard?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

ArdisRamey wrote:However, nowhere in any documentation can I find any mention of how to create a 2-column master page, if for any reason you don't want to or can't import one from one of these project templates.
If you want to create columns in the same way MadCap use for their templates, then you do this by creating a "responsive layout".

In their templates, their master page has a responsive layout with two columns, using an 8-4 ratio (66% - 33%) for the left and right columns.
The body proxy is in the left column, and the menu proxy is in the right.

http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... ayouts.htm
TR Lisa wrote:I just followed step by step from this topic and did the import and I still don't have a 2-column master page.
I've not tried their example, but I guess just double-check you've also included the CSS for the responsive layout (div.ContentRow), and make sure the correct master page is selected in your target.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Is this a suitable place to play with flexbox?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:Is this a suitable place to play with flexbox?
Yep, you don't have to use Flare's responsive layout, that's just how MadCap do it in their master pages.

So you could write you own CSS using flex, or the new grid.

In my projects I use the Foundation grid classes (as the CSS for these is already bundled in with the HTML5 output).
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

I actually tried the responsive layout solution yesterday and can get it to work as I want in a topic. Not so much for a master page. The master page looks ok, but when I apply it to topics, there's no sign of the responsive layout, not even in the text editor.

If you want to create columns in the same way MadCap use for their templates, then you do this by creating a "responsive layout".

In their templates, their master page has a responsive layout with two columns, using an 8-4 ratio (66% - 33%) for the left and right columns.
The body proxy is in the left column, and the menu proxy is in the right.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Ok so I guess the responsive layout master page isn't going to do what I thought it would. The body proxy on the left side is fine. But I want an editable text box on the right side--not a menu proxy or any other proxy. I want to add Learn More links there, and they will be different for every page. So it looks like I really do need a 2-column page layout, and I still can't make that happen, even following the Flare instructions exactly.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

(Answered in the Slack group - copied here)

I think maybe the confusion is that a master page is not like a page layout (in print), where topic content flows into the columns of the page layout. All the master page examples you'll see with columns are different to that - they'll have a master page with a body proxy (that contains your whole topic content) in one column, and some non-topic content (like a menu proxy) in another column. If you need arrange the content that's inside your topic into multiple columns, then the topic itself needs multiple columns - not the master page.
TWinMontreal
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Create a Two-Column Master Page (solved!)

Post by TWinMontreal »

Today I was looking for help on how to create a two-column layout and felt it was in the Page Layout area, not Master Pages (confusingly similar in name). I was familiar with the page layout editor and was able to quickly create a two-column layout there. The Body Frame by default is single column of about 6.5 inches in width and it underpins the main editing window. That's where you enter text in Flare topics.

To make a two-column layout,

1. Open a page layout and perhaps make a copy to experiment with.
2. Select the page layout you want to update, and resize the main body frame to occupy the left side of the page layout, about 3.2" wide.
3. On the toolbar at the top of the page layout window, click the New Frame Mode button drop-down > New Body Frame Mode.
4. Draw the new frame. Text will automatically flow from the first body frame to the next.
5. Click Save.
6. Apply the page layout to the topic you want to use it with.
Your changes should appear!

Doing this and removing one graphic allowed me to squeeze a bulletin into two pages without much fuss or muss.

Here's a Flare help topic that touches on it:

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... n%20layout

Cheers,
Gordon :D
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Create a Two-Column Master Page (solved!)

Post by Nita Beck »

The OP was actually asking how to create a two-column presentation for online output, rather than creating a two-column page design for print output. That said, the description you offer of your steps for creating the latter is welcome. Thanks! ;)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!