Newbie question on stylesheet links

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
JoeWeinmunson
Propeller Head

Newbie question on stylesheet links

Post by JoeWeinmunson »

I am coming from a process where I was hand-coding HTML to write the Help file for our software. near the top of all files I had something like this block
<head><title>Printing a Container Placement Report</title>
<link href="styles.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
</head>
I'm guessing it's not necessary to include that line in all the topics I create in Flare because something in the program has already set which stylesheet I want to use--correct? Also, do I need to manually insert the header here or is that step unnecessary?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Newbie question on stylesheet links

Post by Nita Beck »

A best practice is to associate the stylesheet at the target level, not at the topic level. (BTW, I am not talking about table stylesheets; they do get linked at the topic level.) That way, your topics are more "flexible" for use in different outputs. Occasionally you might need to link a topic to a specific stylesheet, in which case there is a target option to "Allow local stylesheets".

So, in short, no, you generally don't need to bother adding that stylesheet link to your topics.

(BTW, I see you've also got a title tag in the head. If you leave the title tag out completely, Flare will use a topic's first heading when it can't find a title. This is very handy if you ever edit a topic's first heading; you don't need to remember to edit the title tag. And if you ever have your stuff translated, you won't need to have the titles translated.)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!