Certain fonts not found in Internet Explorer

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.

Certain fonts not found in Internet Explorer

Postby williamgwilliams on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 am

My company has imposed a new font scheme on me. I downloaded them and we updated our stylesheet accordingly, but in Internet Explorer 11 the fonts for the headings aren't found, and it defaults to Times New Roman. This problem doesn't happen in Edge, Chrome or Firefox, only in Internet Explorer. Furthermore, it doesn't happen on Internet Explorer if I view the help I've compiled on my own machine; it happens only on the HTTP server to which it gets deployed.

Has anyone out there experience anything like this? One frustration for me is that I can't figure out how to do a View Source on the frame the help topic is displaying in. View Source, no matter where I right-click on the help page, shows only the source for the skin elements (or the elements surrounding the topic frame); so I can't see what the code that is being rendered incorrectly is.

Any suggestions on how I could force the fonts to be found by Internet Explorer?


- Willie
Propeller Head
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Re: Certain fonts not found in Internet Explorer

Postby Psider on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:50 pm

IE11 doesn't support all web font formats, so maybe you've only specified the ones it doesn't support? I think you need to specify woff and woff2 at minimum, and possibly eot plus an eot hack if the web site runs in compatibility mode in IE11, or on versions 7-10.

See Embedding Web Fonts for the "support everything" and "only modern browsers" coding:
Propellus Maximus
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Certain fonts not found in Internet Explorer

Postby medea on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:36 am

We had a similar issue with our docs. We were told to use Segoe UI, which is not available on Macs. Any of our help viewed on a Mac showed times roman (and we never figured out why it picked times roman as a default). We got around it by creating a font family for our help and defined it as "Segoe UI, Arial, san serif" and set all of our css styles to use that font family (except for things we wanted to be constant width) so that when it doesn't find our font, it at least goes with sans serif eventually and doesn't pull in times roman.
Propeller Head
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:06 am

Return to Styles, Stylesheets and XML

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests