Certain fonts not found in Internet Explorer

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
williamgwilliams
Propeller Head

Certain fonts not found in Internet Explorer

Post by williamgwilliams »

My company has imposed a new font scheme on me. I downloaded them and we updated our stylesheet accordingly, but in Internet Explorer 11 the fonts for the headings aren't found, and it defaults to Times New Roman. This problem doesn't happen in Edge, Chrome or Firefox, only in Internet Explorer. Furthermore, it doesn't happen on Internet Explorer if I view the help I've compiled on my own machine; it happens only on the HTTP server to which it gets deployed.

Has anyone out there experience anything like this? One frustration for me is that I can't figure out how to do a View Source on the frame the help topic is displaying in. View Source, no matter where I right-click on the help page, shows only the source for the skin elements (or the elements surrounding the topic frame); so I can't see what the code that is being rendered incorrectly is.

Any suggestions on how I could force the fonts to be found by Internet Explorer?

Thanks,

- Willie
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Certain fonts not found in Internet Explorer

Post by Psider »

IE11 doesn't support all web font formats, so maybe you've only specified the ones it doesn't support? I think you need to specify woff and woff2 at minimum, and possibly eot plus an eot hack if the web site runs in compatibility mode in IE11, or on versions 7-10.

See Embedding Web Fonts for the "support everything" and "only modern browsers" coding:
https://css-tricks.com/understanding-web-fonts-getting/
medea
Propeller Head

Re: Certain fonts not found in Internet Explorer

Post by medea »

We had a similar issue with our docs. We were told to use Segoe UI, which is not available on Macs. Any of our help viewed on a Mac showed times roman (and we never figured out why it picked times roman as a default). We got around it by creating a font family for our help and defined it as "Segoe UI, Arial, san serif" and set all of our css styles to use that font family (except for things we wanted to be constant width) so that when it doesn't find our font, it at least goes with sans serif eventually and doesn't pull in times roman.