Cannot see styles in the Styles window (of a project)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
ihumby-09
Propeller Head

Cannot see styles in the Styles window (of a project)

Post by ihumby-09 »

Hello.

I searched this section of the forum, and there were many suggestions on how to fix this situation. However, none of them worked for me.

I'm using Flare 2018.

When I open styles.css, I see hundreds of styles. However, in my project, I see a "few" styles (particularly p style). Do I Have to "activate" a style to make it show up in my project styles window?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Irma
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Cannot see styles in the Styles window (of a project)

Post by SteveS »

Hi Irma,

Welcome to the forums :D

Flare only displays the styles that can be applied to the element you have selected in the editor. So, if your cursor is within a paragraph (<p>) the style window should show all the declared styles for paragraphs from your stylesheet. It will also generic styles, for example any style that is declared with a period at the beginning of its declaration in the stylesheet.

So, if you have styles such as p.highlight, p.newpage and so on, they will appear in your style window when a paragraph element is active. Styles such as .comment, .dropcap are generic styles and should be seen as well.

The styles shown are those from one of my projects.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
ihumby-09
Propeller Head

Post by ihumby-09 »

Hi.

Thank you for the info, but I already knew that I would only see styles pertinent to the information I was selecting (e.g., p.xxx for paragraph).

My problem is that I only see a few of the "p.xx" styles, not the entire list that is in styles.css.

Apologies if I didn't state my issue clearly.

Bottom line - I want to see ALL pertinent styles when I select something in the topic. Do I need to "activate" something?

thanks.
Irma
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Flare will show you the styles from the stylesheet and medium that is associated with the target that you've set as the primary target.

Say that your stylesheet has styles defined in its default medium and another medium used for print output. (For discussion, let's call this the print medium.) Say also that there are p classes in the print medium that are not defined in the default medium.

If your primary target is a print target (which I assume is set to use the print medium), as you edit content in the XML Editor, you should see all the p classes from both the default medium and the print medium.

If your primary target is an online target (which I assume is set to use the default medium), as you edit content in the XML Editor, you should see only the p classes that are from the default medium.

You can also switch up what the XML Editor shows as you edit a file. Change the Layout to one of the Web layouts or to the Print layout. Change the Medium to the medium where your styles are defined. I think then that you'll see the styles for that output type and medium.

I hope this helps.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
EileenP
Propeller Head

Post by EileenP »

I am having this problem. The styles that are not displaying are ones that are not associated with any particular output. But they are defined in the CSS both generally and with specific changes @media print as below. So p.Varning is not selectable and is not displayed in the style chooser or the Style Window. Can anyone explain how to remedy this? TIA.

Code: Select all

p.Varning
{
	color: #c00000;
	list-style-image: url('Bilder/no_translate/varning.png');
	display: list-item;
	padding-left: 24px;
	margin-left: 0px;
	text-indent: 0px;
}

@media print
{
	p.Varning
	{
		list-style-image: none;
		margin-left: 0px;
		margin-top: 20px;
		background-image: url('Bilder/no_translate/varningPrint3.png');
		background-repeat: no-repeat;
		background-position: -20px;
		padding: 0 0 0 40px;
		display: block;
	}
}
Matt Harris
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Matt Harris »

I've encountered many situations when certain styles simply will not appear in the Styles window, even when the following are true:
- Set the primary stylesheet on the target and make the target the primary target
- Select the relevant XML element
- Make sure the medium is set to the desired medium.

I think the problem is a bug in Flare, where it seems to lose track of what your primary stylesheet is. When I click on the "Edit Style" button, it often loads a completely irrelevant stylesheet that is not set as my primary.

Deleting my Analyzer folder and restarting Flare typically fixes this problem.

You could also try setting the primary stylesheet at the project level, not just the target level. See https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Files.htm for how to do this.

I have also occasionally discovered a bug where styles will not appear if there is a property defined in a class in the stylesheet that Flare doesn't "like" for some reason. For us, it was a property "display: inline-block;" on an img element. With that property definted, that class (and all classes after it in the stylesheet) would disappear from the Styles window. When we removed that line, the styles appeared again. This also appears to be a bug, given that it is correct CSS.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

That's some good information, Matt. I'm dealing with that situation right now shuffling css around for a word import. Now I know what to look for.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: