Print from HTML5 Output different from PDF Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.

Print from HTML5 Output different from PDF Output

Postby spw24 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:04 am

I use a single source for both HTML5 and PDF outputs. I use a single stylesheet which includes the default mediums: (default), Tablet, Mobile, Print.
When I compare the style of my printed HTML5 (online using Default) and my PDF (using Print), I see subtle differences between them. The most obvious of which is my bullets - they are far larger on my printed HTML5 than in the PDF version.
Any advice on what I might be doing wrong?
spw24
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Print from HTML5 Output different from PDF Output

Postby SKamprowski on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:35 am

Hi,

I suggest that you compare default and print medium in your Stylesheet side-by-side in advanced view.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Postby Chicago_HPT on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:13 am

Also, different browsers commonly render bullet characters slightly differently. I think it may be safe to guess the same is true for browsers vs printer drivers vs PDF, unless you specify in your CSS exactly how the bullet characters should display for each medium.

Just an educated guess, though.

Cheers,
-jeff
Chicago_HPT
Propeller Head

Postby Nita Beck on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:43 am

Be aware that the original purpose of the print medium in CSS is to control how content is rendered when printed from a browser. MadCap happened, then, to suggest that we use it for print output from Flare. In your case, there's no point in comparing the default medium to the print medium to see what's going because both your print-from-help and PDF output are using the print medium. (And sorry that I don't have an insight into why the size of the bullets look different, except to agree generally with what others have said about variations among browsers.)

My practice is that I reserve the print medium for printing from a browser and I create a wholly separate medium called something like "PDF" for my PDF output.

Why bother, you might ask?

Consider this scenario, which was an actual request from one of my clients:

We had a tastefully colorful online content design, with red text for headings and other selective bits of content and with content such as notes, best practices, cautions, and warnings having different lightly shaded color backgrounds. We used the same colorful design for the PDF output. My client specifically requested that content, when printed from the online help, was to make all the red-text content be changed to black and all of the notes, etc. to no longer have colored backgrounds but instead to have borders. Their reasoning was that they didn't want to waste color toner. (I'm not kidding... When I pointed out that a lot of printers allow one to print grayscale, they didn't budge. Still wanted me to control it via CSS.)

In order to satisfy the request, I changed font colors, removed background colors, and added borders in the print medium. I didn't need to do a thing for the PDF medium because it inherited from default.
Nita
Content Strategist / Information Architect / Flare Consultant: http://beck-communications.com
Manager, Rochester Flare User Group: http://www.facebook.com/RochesterFlareUserGroup
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Postby spw24 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at the Print medium again and see how the output changes in each case.
spw24
Jr. Propeller Head

Return to Styles, Stylesheets and XML