Numbering is off centred even with li and p the same

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Numbering is off centred even with li and p the same

Post by oceanclub »

I have an issue in my stylesheets when if a <p> tag is nested within a <li>, the numbering in PDF output is offcentre as above, even though the styles are the same. (If the text is directly within the <li> tag its fine but this is not always possible.

An excerpt from my stylesheet is as follows. As you can see, the p and li styles have the same light height and padding. I even tried a li > p combinator style to see if that worked with no luck. Any help appreciated,

Paul

Code: Select all

p
{
	font-size: 1em;
	/* 12pt */
	line-height: 1.5;
	padding-top: 4px;
	padding-bottom: 4px;
	margin-top: 0pt;
	margin-bottom: 0pt;
}

li
{
	/* 12pt */
}

li > p
{
	/* 12pt */
}
Last edited by oceanclub on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Numbering is off centred even with li and p the same

Post by SteveS »

From memory this is an issue with the way browsers display lists and cannot be overcome.

I recall the solution is to use autonumbering to create the list. This also overcomes some of the other difficulties with HTML lists.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

SteveS wrote:From memory this is an issue with the way browsers display lists and cannot be overcome.

I recall the solution is to use autonumbering to create the list. This also overcomes some of the other difficulties with HTML lists.
HI Steve,

Just to note this is in a PDF?

P.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I feel like I've seen this for web output where some style has been set to inline-block, and the margins and padding then cascade through. How css gets translated to pdf is something of a black box, but maybe it's a hint.

Another thing to try would be to generate to a web output using your pdf stylesheet, then use the developer tools to inspect the code. I find the Computed tab is useful as it shows what various values calculate to, and the dropdown shows all the spots that contribute
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

When I checked HTML5 output against the stylesheet it looks fine. What I did then was go back to a default Flare stylesheet and see if that worked. That did, so I checked the difference between it and mine and it was the use of padding-top and padding-bottom in the li and p styles. I removed those, just using margin-top and margin-bottom. I also then set a "li p" combinator as the same. Numbered lists now look fine in PDF output.

P.