Print Layout vs Web Layout

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
sarahb
Propeller Head

Print Layout vs Web Layout

Post by sarahb »

I've used Flare for years, but have only ever output to PDF. Topics are always set to the print layout. Now I want to output to HTML5 as well, and am sort of at a loss as to all of the moving pieces and how everything is connected.

I've created a new TOC for HTML5 output. Basically, it's just the topics I want to build in HTML5 with the order I want them to appear in.

I've created a very rudimentary HTML5 skin. Ugly, but it's got the logo banner, search bar, and left-side menu.

I've created a new HTML5 target pointing to this new TOC and HTML5 skin. When I build the HTML5 output, all the "margins" in the web view (Chrome) are off--headings, images, bulleted lists, numbered lists, etc., all have odd indents. When I went back to one of the topics in Flare, and switched from the print layout to web layout, I can see the same issues with odd indentation.

So I guess I have many questions, but the answers to these might lead me in the right direction (I can't find what I'm looking for in the Flare documentation, but I might not be searching for the right things):

1. What is the web layout referencing? It's pulling this layout from somewhere, right?
2. Do I need an additional CSS specifically for "online" output? If so, is there some easy way to create this CSS based off my current "print" CSS?

If I'm asking the wrong questions, any direction you can provide would be helpful.

Cheers!
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Print Layout vs Web Layout

Post by doloremipsum »

It's as you thought: what you're missing there is probably the stylesheet. If you are using the same stylesheet for your HTML5 output as for your print, it probably is not going to look quite the same. (Especially lists, I find...)

When you say that the medium is set to print, do you mean that you are using a print medium in the stylesheet itself (with its own specific settings compared to the default medium), or do you mean that you've set the 'Medium' in the topic toolbar to print? The latter is for display within the software only, so it doesn't really mean anything for your output. If that is what you mean, you are probably just using the 'default' medium for your PDF output.

Flare assumes that the default medium will be used for HTML5 and the print medium will be used for PDF etc. Probably the best thing to do would be to alter your default medium so that it looks good on the web, and shift your PDF-specific styles into the print medium. That might be easier to do by working on the stylesheet in text if you're up to it.

Anyway, read this help article to get a more thorough explanation of what mediums are: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ueries.htm.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
sarahb
Propeller Head

Re: Print Layout vs Web Layout

Post by sarahb »

Thanks! This is very helpful and has set me on the right path. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.