Vertical table heads in PDF output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
pfarrell
Jr. Propeller Head

Vertical table heads in PDF output

Post by pfarrell »

Has anyone had any luck creating vertical table heads in PDF output?

We have some Framemaker users who are moving to Flare, and I can't figure out how to create vertical table heads in the PDF output.

Are we out of luck?

Thanks,

Pat
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Vertical table heads in PDF output

Post by Chicago_HPT »

How familiar/comfortable are you with CSS? I haven't had time to do more than a cursory look at this, so maybe someone else has a better, or a more detailed suggestion, but have you looked at the transform: rotate(Ndeg) CSS attribute? It rotates things N degrees counterclockwise. There's a brief explanation at https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/text-rotation/ but there may be more detailed ones elsewhere.

I don't know if it works with PDF output.

I hope that helps, at least a little,
-jeff
Last edited by Chicago_HPT on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Quick follow-up. I was unable to find access to the transform: rotate attribute in Flare's Style Editor Basic View but it is available in the Advanced View, if you're more comfortable playing with settings via a graphical user interface rather than just plain CSS text.
flareCSSEditor-Adv-Position-Transform01.jpg
Cheers,
-jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Folkie
Propeller Head

Post by Folkie »

If you're really confident with CSS you can edit your stylesheets directly, so rather than double-click to open it, use right-click > Open with > Internal Text Editor.

Even if you don't feel happy adding or modifying styles that way, it can be very useful to use the text editor to search for particular attributes etc. within the stylesheet.
pfarrell
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by pfarrell »

Thanks for the information everyone.

While I have managed to do this in HTML output, apparently, it is not possible in PDF output.

From MadCap Technical Support:
Thank you for contacting MadCap Technical Support.
Unfortunately it is not possible at this point to have vertical text in PDF output. I have gone ahead and added you to the open feature request for this ability to be added.
You will be notified by email if this is added in a future version.
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

I requested this almost a decade ago after finding the tables in Framemaker could not be replicated in Flare. I got the same answer from Madcap at the time.