Change Chapter Title Style from "1" to "A"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Telecaster52
Propeller Head

Change Chapter Title Style from "1" to "A"

Post by Telecaster52 »

Hello

Our documentation has typical appendix chapters that begin with "Appendix A," Appendix B" and Appendix C." How to I change the properties of the page so that those appendices appear with those chapter title types in the PDF output? Here's what I've tried so far, and it doesn't work:

1) Changing the style to h1.AppTitle. That didn't work.
2) Right-clicking "Properties" in the appendix topics. I've tried to "Reset to" and change the format. That didn't work.
3) In the target, changing the Master Page Stylesheet and Master Page Layout to the stylesheet and layout to the appropriate formats. That didn't work.
4) I've even tried playing with page breaks. None of that works.

I've compared the formatting and settings of this project with another project, and they are identical.

Thank you
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Change Chapter Title Style from "1" to "A"

Post by Nita Beck »

This question comes up often on the forums.

In a nutshell, I advise using the {chapnum} auto-number to control the numbering. I tend to have a h1.Chpt and h1.Appx classes that each have their auto-numbers defined using {chapnum}. Then for the first appendix, set a chapter break (not a page break) for its TOC item, reset the chapter numbering to 1, and set the format to ALPHA. For the other appendixes, also set chapter breaks, have the numbering increment, and set the format to ALPHA.

Here are some relevant discussions that offer various solutions, including more on my own:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20393
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16989 <<< In particular, see my solution here.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19426
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20001

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Telecaster52
Propeller Head

Post by Telecaster52 »

Thank you. That fixed it.

1) Right click properties
2) Auto Numbers tab, reset Chapter Number to A and set the format as ALPHA.
3) Save

Thanks again!
Telecaster52
Propeller Head

Post by Telecaster52 »

Now it's not working. I reset as above, and now it's not working.

Every. Single. Time. It's a something different with this problem, and it's a different problem again and again and again. I don't know why we need to be programmers to be able to these idiotic issues.