Language settings for an autonum "Note:"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Language settings for an autonum "Note:"

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Not sure what to search for in the help for this.

I have an autonum that says "Note: ", which is fine for my English targets, but I wonder if I can specify that when the project language is German it should be "Hinweis: "? Is this something I can do in the CSS? I don't want to have to provide a German language skin for just one word. Any suggestions?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Language settings for an autonum "Note:"

Post by doloremipsum »

I take it that the word 'Note' is defined in the stylesheet? When you translate a Flare project in Lingo, you get the opportunity to translate the terms in the stylesheet as well. For example, my xref style reads 'see page x', and in the French stylesheet it's translated as 'consultez la page x'.

I imagine you could do the same when translating outside of Lingo as well, but you might just need to specifically point the translators towards that location.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Thanks doloremipsum, but this isn't a translation project, it's a separate document that's written by some of my German colleagues and only appears in German, not English. Your information is definitely helpful for those dealing with translations, and I'll file that info away for when I do get back to managing translation work again.

The question is more whether a global stylesheet can contain some kind of setting (like you have with media) which changes the autonum text depending on which language is selected. The logic would be along the lines of 'if lang=de, autonum="Hinweis: " otherwise autonum="Note: " ' or that kind of thing. Any clues?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Ah right, that makes sense. Only thing I can think of is to create a separate stylesheet medium for German documents, but that might be a bit of a pain...

I wonder if you can sneak a variable into your stylesheet for that word? Possibly in the format [%=VariableSet.Note%]. It depends whether Flare checks the stylesheet for variables during the build process, which I don't know.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I wonder if the "cascading" part of css would work?

For the German document, allow multiple stylesheets and declare a special German stylesheet that only includes the definition to change the autonum text. Not sure if it would work or not but should be easy to try. The German stylesheet would need to be defined second, so that what it specifies takes precedence.
(the second stylesheet would only include, for example, p.Note {autonum="Hinweis: ";} and should inherit everything else from the regular stylesheet.

Or, what about having a German stylesheet that imports the regular stylesheet, and includes a definition that just changes the autonum text?

e.g.
@import url("Main.css");
p.Note {autonum="Hinweis: ";}