PDF Output Skips a Chapter

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Telecaster52
Propeller Head

PDF Output Skips a Chapter

Post by Telecaster52 »

Hello

I cannot figure this one out. I have a TOC with three chapters. All of the properties of the chapters are exactly the same in printed output:

Break Type: Chapter Break
Page Layout: (our style...every chapter has the exact same style)
Page type: First

The printed output (PDF) skips Chapter 2, so the output shows Chapter 1, Chapter 3, and Chapter 4.

Each topic/chapter has the same Chapter Header Style.

I've tried adding and removing page breaks in each topic chapter and the preceding chapters. That didn't work.

I know I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

EDIT...the Primary Page Layout and Primary Stylesheet Settings in the Target are all correct as well.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF Output Skips a Chapter

Post by Nita Beck »

First things I'd check are the TOC properties for the Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 books. Are they set to increment the chapter numbers or are they hardcoded to reset to "3" and "4", respectively?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Telecaster52
Propeller Head

Post by Telecaster52 »

Hi Nita

They are both set to "Increment."
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Have any topics between Ch1 and Ch 2 (Ch3 in the printed output) mistakenly acquired a chapter break with increment? It's easily done with a unwitting multiple selection in the flare TOC when changing properties - done it myself a few times. Try expanding all in the TOC, selecting all the entries between those that need chapter breaks and changing their properties to No Chapter Break and the default numbering.

Or if you like text hunting, you could have a look at the fltoc file in a text editor to see if anything screwy is going on.

Rob
Telecaster52
Propeller Head

Post by Telecaster52 »

robdocsmith wrote:Have any topics between Ch1 and Ch 2 (Ch3 in the printed output) mistakenly acquired a chapter break with increment? It's easily done with a unwitting multiple selection in the flare TOC when changing properties - done it myself a few times. Try expanding all in the TOC, selecting all the entries between those that need chapter breaks and changing their properties to No Chapter Break and the default numbering.

Or if you like text hunting, you could have a look at the fltoc file in a text editor to see if anything screwy is going on.

Rob
Yes, indeed there was! And yes, that fixed it! Thank you!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Another useful way to find this is to view the TOC using the GRID view, as you can see where your chapter breaks are very easily.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx