Auto number style not changing in mobile medium

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Flare00
Propeller Head

Auto number style not changing in mobile medium

Post by Flare00 »

I am having no luck setting my Mobile/Tablet mediums to change font size for an Auto number style (e.g Step, Step Next etc).
Its only this style, all the other styles will output changes as set.

As a test, I found that if I removed the auto number functionality from the style, it works normally changing the font size.

Is this a bug in Flare or am I missing a setting ?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Auto number style not changing in mobile medium

Post by Nita Beck »

I'd like a little more info. Would you post your CSS for the selectors with auto-numbers so we can see how they're defined in the default medium, as well as in the tablet and mobile mediums?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Flare00
Propeller Head

Post by Flare00 »

Hi, thanks for the help.

I think I found an unofficial answer in the Flare help info it states Auto Numbering is not supported for use with online content as it was designed for print output, although it may still work with online output. So I assume from this maybe my glitch is a reason why not to use it.

so for full disclosure I converted Framemaker content and it converted my FM para styles for Step and Step1 into Flare P styles using auto numbering
here is my Flare Step1 css

p.Step1
{
text-align: left;
margin-left: 0.4in;
margin-right: 0.5in;
margin-top: 6pt;
margin-bottom: 6pt;
letter-spacing: 0em;
color: #000000;
mc-hyphenate: never;
mc-auto-number-position: outside-head;
mc-auto-number-offset: 24px;
line-height: 12pt;
text-decoration: none;
mc-auto-number-format: 'S:{b}{n=1}. {/b}';
font-family: 'Roboto Light';
}

Per Flare they recommend to use OL for this type of style and I have confirmed this does display correct in all medias, so I'm trying to figure out how to convert my P Step tags to OL.
I really do not want to open 100s of topics and convert all the P tag Steps into OL one-by-one.
Maybe someone has a workaround or script for this (I do not have experience with writing or using scripts)

or did I miss a setting in my FM conversion settings?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I agree with the advice to not use p styles for ordered lists but instead to use true OLs.

That said, let's try a workaround with your existing CSS. Instead of using the {b}{/b} bits in your mc-auto-number-format, take those out there. We'll handle the bold a different way, next.

Create a new span called something like span.StepNumber and add font-weight:bold. In your tablet and mobile mediums, also add font-size for the specific sizes you want in those mediums.

Then, back in the definition of p.Step, add in mc-auto-number-class: StepNumber. That'll supply the formatting of the step numbers.

Now, this is an experiment. I do not guarantee this will work for online output. I know it'll work for print output. It's a simple enough bit of CSS rework to test out.

For more info on an auto-number class, see https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... Styles.htm, in the note under the example in Step 8. The note specifically mentions Word output, but I use auto-number classes for any print output, as I get greater control over the formatting of the auto-numbers.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Flare00
Propeller Head

Post by Flare00 »

Thank you Nita,

This partially worked, the auto number alone is styling correctly (changing font size in the medium) now, but the para text after the auto number is still large (not responding)

before
1. Text Text Text

after
1. Text Text Text
Flare00
Propeller Head

Post by Flare00 »

Had luck reimporting FM files and re-mapping using the preserving FM styles feature.
Was not without issues but that seemed to allow the font to change on the p>step tags in the mobile media.
Not sure why, but this may be a fix.