CSS: Missing linked stylesheet file:///C:/Users/.../file.css

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
kojak
Jr. Propeller Head

CSS: Missing linked stylesheet file:///C:/Users/.../file.css

Post by kojak »

I have "missing or bad snippets" and "missing file" throughout my topics no matters that the path to these snippets/files is correct.
When I try to browse for a missing file manually (the file is in other project folder) MadCap suggests to copy it to my current project, which solves the problem. However, this is not a good solution as there are hundreds of files and snippets throughout my projects.
I don't know if they are connected but I also get the following error message:
"CSS: Missing linked stylesheet file:///C:/Users/.../.file_name.css, but the .css", which is strange because the .css file is existing in its folder, albeit not in the current project folder.
On the other hand, my colleague works on the same projects and she doesn't have these problems.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: CSS: Missing linked stylesheet file:///C:/Users/.../file

Post by doloremipsum »

I believe Flare is having trouble because it's not expecting files to be stored in different projects from the one you are publishing from. I would suggest restructuring your projects so that the files you need are always available in the same project. A couple of options:
  • Use Global Project Linking - create a global project that contains all of your shared content, and import it to the child projects.
  • Put all of your "documents" in a single project. This prevents duplication of content and makes it easy to share files between different documents. In my experience Flare can handle very large projects with thousands of files, so this shouldn't be an issue.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
kojak
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by kojak »

Thank you for reply doloremipsum. I think I'll go with the first option, just wondering if there is another way, because my colleague doesn't have these problems.
kojak
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by kojak »

Thank you, doloremipsum. I found and fixed the problem. The path to the .css file was wrong, so I had to change the names of projects folders.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Interesting to learn at least that Flare does handle files being stored in different projects!

Now that I read your initial post again, I wonder if you were running into problems because the Projects were stored in the Users folder on each PC? Those will have different paths because you are different users (e.g. /Users/jsmith vs /Users/rtaylor). So if your coworker created a link to a file on her computer (and passed it to you via source control, presumably), that same link won't work on your computer.

To solve this issue, you need to both store your Flare projects in exactly the same location on each PC. For example, if you both had a folder called C:/Flare Projects with all the projects in it in a flat directory structure, there shouldn't be a problem. You'd want to do this when setting up global project linking if you choose to go that route.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.