Renaming styles in Global Flare project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
sarahb
Propeller Head

Renaming styles in Global Flare project

Post by sarahb »

Hi all,

We are using the global project linking feature, where we have a global "parent" project that holds all our global project assets (page layouts, CSS, snippets, logo images, etc.). Linked to the global "parent" project are about 25 "child" projects.

I need to make some changes to the CSS. Pretty simply really. I want to rename some existing styles.

I assumed that if I made these changes in the global "parent" project, where our CSS sits, when the "child" projects pull to get the latest CSS, the new changes would take effect in the "child" projects. While the updated CSS is being pulled into the "child" projects, and I can see all the renamed styles in the Styles window, when I open any of the topics, the styles I renamed have seemingly been stripped of all formatting. When I look into the HTML view, the tag for that style still shows the old style name (and presumably, because that name no longer exists in the CSS, it's just removing the formatting). I expected it to be updated with the renamed style name. It's not like I created a brand new style or anything. I just renamed it.

It's just not feasible to do a find and replace in all "child" project to point to the renamed style.

What am I missing?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Renaming styles in Global Flare project

Post by NorthEast »

Unfortunately, Flare won't rename that for you, so you would have to manually rename the styles in the child projects. I'd suggest using the Find and Replace Find Elements tab.
But obviously it might take a while to do that for 25 projects, multiplied by the number of renamed styles.

Or maybe you could set up the CSS to include both names, so 'old' projects still work, but you can use the new style name going forwards.

Code: Select all

p.oldName,
p.newName
{

}
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Renaming styles in Global Flare project

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Rather than doing that kind of change in Flare, I'd do it in something like FAR, operating only on *.htm, *.html and *.flsnp files. You can either load your projects one at a time or load all 25 projects, as you feel.

Depending on what your old name was and whether there are any other instances where the style name might appear, you'd need to be a bit careful on what you search for and what you change to. (For example, if one of the old styles is called "Style_1" and you want to change it to "Design_1", be careful if you also have something called "Style_12" - though I realise I might be teaching granny to suck eggs here).
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx