How to reduce spacing between footnotes?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
EileenP
Propeller Head

How to reduce spacing between footnotes?

Post by EileenP »

Hi, I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out which element will reduce the space between footnotes. Can anyone help? TIA.
Flare - how do I reduce space.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sarrantsvt
Propeller Head

Re: How to reduce spacing between footnotes?

Post by sarrantsvt »

Place the cursor in the footnote at the bottom of the page (or wherever it appears) and look in the Style box to see what style is in use.
style.png
In mine it is MadCap:footnote.Block. Make changes to properties of MadCap:footnote.Block in the CSS. For example, reduce the value of line-height or change the margins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing Online Help since 1990. I remember "dots" .........
Got a bug? https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs/
Got a suggestion? https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
EileenP
Propeller Head

Post by EileenP »

sarrantsvt wrote:Place the cursor in the footnote at the bottom of the page (or wherever it appears) and look in the Style box to see what style is in use.
style.png
In mine it is MadCap:footnote.Block. Make changes to properties of MadCap:footnote.Block in the CSS. For example, reduce the value of line-height or change the margins.
Thank you for your response. I tried this (and many other things) and nothing is having any effect.
(I find it strange that line-height has no effect.)
And yes, I am making these changes in the correct medium.
Any other ideas?

Thank you again.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

What is your HTML structure for the footnotes? In other words, kindly show us the code for those two footnotes. Not that that'll lead us to a solution necessasrily, but it's something I'd explore while troubleshooting.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
EileenP
Propeller Head

Post by EileenP »

Nita Beck wrote:What is your HTML structure for the footnotes? In other words, kindly show us the code for those two footnotes. Not that that'll lead us to a solution necessasrily, but it's something I'd explore while troubleshooting.
Ok, when I went to insert the code, I noticed that each footnote includes a <p> tag inside the <MadCap:footnote> tag. When I deleted that, the space disappeared.

It's a bit disconcerting because the footnotes are in topics that were imported from Word documents. ALL of the footnotes contain <p> tags. After each import (of which I'll be doing many in the coming months), I'll need to go back and delete them all. Ugh.

Thank you for the hint!
RStreets
Propeller Head

Post by RStreets »

Could you edit the footnotes on Word first and associate them with a style? This could be mapped during import so that it was formatted as something other than <p>. Then you could either use a specific paragraph style that's correctly formatted to close up the footnote paragraphs, or identify the footnote paragraphs to globally remove the "rogue" formatting?
Rae Streets (Flare user since 2017, now on Flare 2023; Central user from 2020)
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

EileenP wrote:It's a bit disconcerting because the footnotes are in topics that were imported from Word documents. ALL of the footnotes contain <p> tags. After each import (of which I'll be doing many in the coming months), I'll need to go back and delete them all. Ugh.
You have two options to clean up the footnotes from the Word imports.

Idea 1: Create a complex selector in your stylesheet that will mitigate the margins/padding above and below the paragraphs within the footnotes. Sorry, I don't readily have code to share with you. This is the solution I'd do, as it would mean that you don't need to do anything for the individual footnotes.

Idea 2: Use the Find and Replace window's Elements pane to craft a find-and-replace run that would unbind the <p> within footnotes. You'd need to do this cleanup after each new import from Word. IMPORTANT: Back up your project before doing this kind of global code change, in case something goes wrong.

I hope these ideas point you in a good direction.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
EileenP
Propeller Head

Post by EileenP »

Thank you @Nita Beck and @Rstreets.
I decided to use FAR to clean these up after each import.
Thank you!
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Following Nita's suggestion, if the spacing is coming from the paragraph tag inside the footnote tag I'd add something like:

Code: Select all

MadCap|footnote p
{
     margin: 0;
     padding: 0;
}
into your stylesheet. This should remove extra spacing from all paragraph tags within footnotes. Then you'd probably need to tweak the settings to get things to display how you want them to.
A once-off fix is always better to me than thing you have to remember to do after each build.

Hope that helps,

Rob
EileenP
Propeller Head

Post by EileenP »

Oh, that's excellent. Thank you, Rob!