What are Span styles?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Shari Lindskov
Jr. Propeller Head

What are Span styles?

Post by Shari Lindskov »

I'm brand new to CSS. I'm mystified by the span style. Can someone explain this or point me to something that explains it? Thanks.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: What are Span styles?

Post by KevinDAmery »

Spans are inline formatting tags. I use them as a way to apply style classes to specific words rather than an entire block.

The W3 Schools article on them is here:

http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_span.asp
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

And welcome to the forums, Shari.

In a lot of cases you can get away without worrying about spans, like Kevin says it is a way to apply a predefined style to a section of your document.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

One place I find them useful is if I need to apply two different styles at once. For example, for tips, notes, warnings, etc. I have a generic class called ".Tip" that applies a left margin indent and borders along the top and bottom to make the paragraph stand out. However, I also want the text introducing the item to be in bold, for which I have a generic class called ".heavy". Of course, you can't apply to classes to the same tag, so I get around it by applying a span to the single word. For example:

Code: Select all

<p class="Tip><span class="heavy">Note:</span> This is something to pay attention to.</p>
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Shari Lindskov
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Shari Lindskov »

Thanks, Steve and Kevin. That helps!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

KevinDAmery wrote:One place I find them useful is if I need to apply two different styles at once. For example, for tips, notes, warnings, etc. I have a generic class called ".Tip" that applies a left margin indent and borders along the top and bottom to make the paragraph stand out. However, I also want the text introducing the item to be in bold, for which I have a generic class called ".heavy". Of course, you can't apply to classes to the same tag, so I get around it by applying a span to the single word. For example:

<p class="Tip><span class="heavy">Note:</span> This is something to pay attention to.</p>
You could use an auto-number format to include that text and formatting automatically...

p.Tip
{
	mc-auto-number-class: heavy;
	mc-auto-number-format: 'Note: ';
}
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Good point, hadn't thought of that. That would be a streamlined way to do it - if I have reason to re-edit the project, I may do that (right now it's working so I don't think I'll redo all the tip sections just to be elegant :mrgreen: )

To clarify for the OP and anyone coming along later, if you follow Dave's suggestion you still need the Span class. The difference is instead of manually applying it, you design an autonumber format that includes the leader text (i.e. in my example the leader text is "Tip) then you the mc-auto-number-class parameter in the stylesheet to apply the span style to the leader text. Basically this means you only have to apply one class to the whole paragraph while you're writing rather than a paragraph class plus a span class - so it automates the process somewhat.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare