online table versus printed table

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

online table versus printed table

Post by bonnie »

I have been trying to produce a printed table in FrameMaker that is slightly different than the one that appears in my WebHelp. I am trying to follow the method described under "Creating Table Styles for Print Output" in the Flare help. But I am not able to get two different results. (Specifically, what I'm trying to get is different border and separator line widths.)

Here's what I did:
1. Made two different TableStyles (Table_A and Table_A_print).
2. Right-clicked in the table and selected Table Properties.
3. In the Table Properties db, selected Table_A as the table style.
4. Clicked on the Print Style button and selected Table_A_print from the list that appears in the Select Table Style db.
5. Clicked OK.
6. Clicked OK.
7. Saved all files.

But whichever TableStyle I select for Step 2 is what I get in both the WebHelp and the FrameMaker output.

I'm using the default medium for the WebHelp ouput and I made a framemaker medium for the FrameMaker target. So...I'm not sure if that figures into the mix or not. I figure it must...somehow.

Could someone please explain what I am missing here?
Thanks,
Bonnie
Last edited by bonnie on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: online table versus printed table

Post by forfear »

In the Target settings for your FrameMaker Target,
In Advanced tab, is the Stylesheet Medium set to your correct medium.

With regards to tables, i imagine your framemaker could be using the 'print' medium. ---aka the Print Style.
Also in Table Properties, have you checked the table styles

PS. am not a heavy framemaker user.
Table-PrintMedium.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

In the Target settings for your FrameMaker Target,
In Advanced tab, is the Stylesheet Medium set to your correct medium.
Yes. I have the default medium specified for the WebHelp target, and I have made a "framemaker" medium and have that specified for the FrameMaker target.
With regards to tables, i imagine your framemaker could be using the 'print' medium. ---aka the Print Style.
Also in Table Properties, have you checked the table styles
It doesn't matter which TableStylesheet I select via the Print Style button, both the WebHelp and the FrameMaker target use the TableStylesheet specified under the Basic > Table Style part of the Table Properties db.

So...it seems that the "Print Style" specification isn't working right.

Bonnie
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

I uess this is the place to go next. To submit a bug/feature request.

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

The more posts there are on a specific topic the more likely it will get included in a future release.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

I have reported this as a bug.
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

It doesn't matter which TableStylesheet I select via the Print Style button, both the WebHelp and the FrameMaker target use the TableStylesheet specified under the Basic > Table Style part of the Table Properties db.

So...it seems that the "Print Style" specification isn't working right.
OK. I have gotten the word on this situation from MadCap. It turns out that I had made a new medium (named "framemaker ") and was trying to use it for my FrameMaker documents. The alternate TableStylesheet selected via the Print Style button on the Table Properties db only applies to the medium named "print". (There is a work-around for this. If anybody wants it, just say so, and I'll post it here.)

Bonnie
Harrison73
Propeller Head

Post by Harrison73 »

bonnie wrote:
OK. I have gotten the word on this situation from MadCap. It turns out that I had made a new medium (named "framemaker ") and was trying to use it for my FrameMaker documents. The alternate TableStylesheet selected via the Print Style button on the Table Properties db only applies to the medium named "print". (There is a work-around for this. If anybody wants it, just say so, and I'll post it here.)
Bonnie
I had followed exactly the same steps as you, and run into exactly the same problem with my print table styles not displaying in Frame. So I'd be interested in knowing what the potential work-around might be.

thanks,
-chris
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

I had followed exactly the same steps as you, and run into exactly the same problem with my print table styles not displaying in Frame. So I'd be interested in knowing what the potential work-around might be.
This is the question I posed to MadCap:
How do I change the "framemaker" medium that I have created so it knows that it is supposed to use the TableStyleSheet indicated as the Print Style on the Table Properties db?

This is the response I received:
In order to do this, you would need to add this code inside of the <table> tag at the beginning of your table:
MadCap:mediastyle="@media framemaker { mc-table-style: url('Resources/TableStyles/Table_A_print.css'); }"

So what that means is that you will have to insert this code for every table.
Bonnie
Harrison73
Propeller Head

Post by Harrison73 »

So what that means is that you will have to insert this code for every table.
Bonnie
Thanks! That started to seem like alot of work, so I just ended up renaming my "FrameMaker" medium to "print" and doing away with the default "print" medium. I hope the Flare documentation will add some clarity on this matter going forward, since everything I tried to do seemed reasonable based on what I read.
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

I just ended up renaming my "FrameMaker" medium to "print" and doing away with the default "print" medium.
That's essentially what I did too.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

And i thought i knew all there was about Flare. Brilliant post with feedback back to the community. Brilliant work Bonnie!
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

Well, thank you very much for the high praise, forfear. I think perhaps persistent is is what I am. I have a lot at stake right now trying to get Flare to cooperate with me. And I look forward to your insight in helping me figure out Flare, since I still have a looooooong way to go in that respect.
Bonnie