Flare CSS as Word Template

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Flare CSS as Word Template

Post by DurtyMat »

I have been working on a condensed CSS based on my companies current word template and I was curious if anyone has gone from using a word created template to just using the styles that the CSS adds to your created printed output.

it seems like it would be easier to maintain just 1 style sheet instead of a CSS and a template (i don't even know if having both is a normal thing to do).

thx for the input, have a great weekend. :D
Flare: I bought it ... so that means I can break it, right?
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare CSS as Word Template

Post by doc_guy »

I do all my output formatting in the CSS style sheet. However, I've not gone through the process of converting from one to the other. I've just always done all my formatting from the style sheet.

Be aware, however, that this represents a significant time investment. The default CSS doesn't create very pretty printed output (or online output for that matter). You'll have to play with your styles extensively to get it to look like you want.

But it is possible! I'm doing it!
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DurtyMat »

yea, i have been working on our CSS a bunch and have created some very interesting styles for our online help but because we are limited to B&W printed (possibly color docs as a PDF) the styles get a little boring in our word docs. Some of the styles that get brought over look great, list styles seem to be giving me some minor issues (prolly because i havent spent a lot of time formatting them) but i think those issues can be resolved.

thanks for the input :D
Flare: I bought it ... so that means I can break it, right?
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

When working with lists, remember that if you have broken your list elements into paragraphs (ie: <li><p>text</p><p>text></li>) then you're going to get the formatting that is applied to the <p> element, the <li> element and the list element. So if you have padding on both your <li> element and on your <p> element, the padding will be added together.

You can overcome these problems with complex selectors like this:

Code: Select all

li p {
      padding: 0pt;
}
This will change what happens to the <p> element when it is a child of the <li> element to prevent the doubling. (In this case, you'd get the padding that was applied to the <li> element, but not the padding for the standard <p> element, if that makes sense.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog