Stylesheet lost when topic moved

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
5ynic
Propeller Head

Stylesheet lost when topic moved

Post by 5ynic »

When I move a topic in content explorer, say for example to a lower level folder or to the folder above where it previously sat, I get the following issue:
- the reference to the stylesheet within the topic is NOT updated.
All other paths (to images, of incoming and outgoing links etc) are correctly updated, but the topic loses it's style until I reapply it, or fix the issue in Notepad by correcting the path.
Anyone else seen this or know a fix/workaround?
TIA,
Jay
-- I hope this doesn't get appended to all my posts --
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Stylesheet lost when topic moved

Post by wclass »

No - I haven't seen this. Sorry for not being a very helpful post, but thought I'd let you know that this is not a general problem in Flare. I have 20+ projects and I can move files around in folders without any problem with the linked styles. My stylesheets are stored in the Resources folder and all topics have relative links to the styles - is your project set the same? I have noticed if you have the full path in the style sheet reference, Flare will change it to a relative path.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I haven't seen that either. How far in the tree are you moving it? More to the point, is it still in the Content tree, or have you moved it to the Projects folder or the root folder?
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

And just to cover all the bases... When you move the topic, do you select the option to update the hyperlinks?

Also, is your project on your local computer or a shared drive? And do you use source control?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
jtraeger
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jtraeger »

Hate to say this, I've hit the same issue and come looking to the forum for help as well. :shock:

Topic moved, the stylesheet is no longer applied. The bizzare thing is, it doesn't always happen! I'll move a folder containing 10 topics, and only one or two topics will be affected in the WYSIWYG. I've noticed this only seems to happen when I'm dealing with imported documents, not ones newly generated. But that's all I can figure.

When the .chm is generated, the spreadsheet seems partially applied to the topic. For instance, the text and general headings are formatted correctly, but the drop-down headings are too big and the wrong color, and table formatting dissappears.

The topics going nutty are 2-4 folder levels in. The topics are all contained in the Content folder. Our working Project is on a removable hard drive connected to my my local PC. I am one of two folks working on it. I update links whenever I move a topic or folder. I've tried re-linking the stylesheet via the Tools>Link Stylesheet option. Nada.

I hope someone else has seen this occur! I'd love to take it off my worry list.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Instead of Tools>Link Stylesheet, see what happens if you use the topic properties to specify the stylesheet. I think the Link Stylesheet function is for cases where you want to use two or more stylesheets in a topic rather than for changing the main stylesheet.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
jtraeger
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jtraeger »

Thanks, Kevin! Reapplying the stylesheet in the topic properties reverted the page to the correct format and appearance. :)

I'd still be interested to learn why the stylesheet went "missing" from the topics in the first place. I'll try to keep an eye out for when it happens again, and see if I can document and reproduce the error.

Thanks again!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If you think it is related to topics created from imported work, then check the stylesheet reference as it's specified in the topic code before you move the topic, then see how the code was modified after the move. To look at the code version, right-click on the topic in the Content Explorer pane and select Open with > Internal Text Editor. The stylesheet reference will be near the topic of the document.

It's possible that the stylesheet reference when it was imported was using an absolute path when it should be a relative path, and Flare may only be checking to see if there is a stylesheet reference during the import, instead of making sure that it's a relative path instead of an absolute one. Or the stylesheet reference is structured as if it were looking at a file on a shared drive (e.g., file:///C:/ and so on instead of ../Resources/Stylesheets).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.