No <body> tags on imported docs

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
jggmiller
Jr. Propeller Head

No <body> tags on imported docs

Post by jggmiller »

Hello all,
Weird problem here. When I build my WebHelp output, all of the docs that I have authored in Flare work beautifully. But when I include a number of other docs, created by my predecessor in Word and imported into his own Flare project, they don't show up on the output. The problem is the body proxy on my master page doesn't have anything to display. These other documents have no <body> tags. I know I can go through each of these docs and add the tags, but there are about 500 of them and I would love to be able to apply this style to all of the docs that need the tag. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: No <body> tags on imported docs

Post by LTinker68 »

Odd. If he imported them through Flare then Flare should have automatically added several lines of code to the top of the topic, including the xmlns declaration, the header tags, and adding other tags through the topic, including the <body> tag. If you open the topics from the Flare GUI (not the output), does Flare say that it's converting the file? If it does, then you'll have to go through and open all of them. If it doesn't say it's converting them and doesn't appear to be putting the <body> tag in, then you're going to have to do it manually for all of them. Or, if you have the original Word doc, just reimport it yourself. I have no idea how he could have removed the <body> tag unless he did it manually. Or did a find-and-replace, but the odds would be low that he'd have caught the </body> tag as well.

I should point out that there could be occasions where you don't have the <html>, <head>, or <body> tag. I do that for our website because I'm using server-side includes to insert a header and footer to each page. The content pages call those header or footer files which contain those tags, so the final output page looks like it's constructed as it should be, but if I open that content page from within Dreamweaver then it'll give me warnings that it's missing tags. You might want to look at how he has the topics set up to see if he's doing something more advanced with those topics.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
jggmiller
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jggmiller »

Thanks LIsa. It looks like he originally created his documents in Word, converted them to HTML, and then converted them again to PHP files. Somewhere along the way the top <body> tag got lost. Most of them have the </body> tag, so at least I will only have to add one tag to each of the 500 documents. :roll:
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

jggmiller wrote:Thanks LIsa. It looks like he originally created his documents in Word, converted them to HTML, and then converted them again to PHP files. Somewhere along the way the top <body> tag got lost. Most of them have the </body> tag, so at least I will only have to add one tag to each of the 500 documents. :roll:
Ah, that should be easy IF he does have </head> tags in the topics. Just to a Find and Replace in source code for this:

Find:
</head>

Replace:
</head><body>
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare