Page-break-inside?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Page-break-inside?

Post by JupiterJones »

Hello,

I recently discovered the CSS property "page-break-inside" (PrintSupport) which I would like to use to avoid a page break inside a certain region (Word target). I therefore created a div style class "nobreak" with page-break-inside: avoid for the print medium. However, Flare seems to ignore this in the Word output, the div region is split nevertheless.

Is this a bug or has this parameter a different meaning?
Is there somewhere a complete list with explanation of each CSS parameter in Flare?

Thanks,
JJ
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Page-break-inside?

Post by KevinDAmery »

The issue is that Word doesn't recognize Divs (or Madcap hasn't found a way to translate Div into Word's universe...) You'd need to use a formatting element that does make it into Word, such as a paragraph or a table.

I know this is annoying - I have a number of things that I do with Divs as well, and none of them survive the trip into Word. Hopefully Madcap will find a solution at some point. If you'd like to see this kind of change to Flare, make a feature request:

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

It has been requested before, but Madcap tell us that the more people request something the higher priority they assign to it, so feel free to add your own voice to the choir.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Post by JupiterJones »

Thanks for your quick reply, Kevin. I will add my own voice to the choir... ;-)

Which tag could be used for a workaround then (if there is one)? It obviously has to be one that converts properly to Word, but is also able to group a number of paragraphs like "div" does. "p" propably only works for one paragraph, "span" is probably the same issue as "div"? You mentioned "table" - would that work without influencing the appearance? Anything else?

Best regards,
JJ
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

If you have to do multiple paragraphs, a single cell table would probably work (although it's ugly). If you set the table class to have no borders and to not introduce margins or padding, it should be invisible to your readers.

Having said that, I haven't done what we're describing, so there may be gotchas that I'm not foreseeing here. But if I had to ensure that no page breaks happened in a group of paragraphs, this is the route I would try first.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Post by JupiterJones »

Yes, the table works. May be I will use that if required.
Another workaround would be to set page-break-after/before styles manually where needed, or create "break after/before" sub classes, e.g. for headings.

Thanks for your help!
JJ