list numbering

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

list numbering

Post by DurtyMat »

Morning,

I was curious if there was a way to assign a value to say, three different li. styles so that when they were in a list they would have different numerical values (see example for clarification, because that sentence is terrible)

Example
1. numberedlist
2. numberedlist
bulleted list item
1. procedureindent
2. procedureindent
3. numberedlist

In Flare, this would be accomplished assigning list numbers using the Item# or ListStart# fields....just didnt know if I could automate the process....
Flare: I bought it ... so that means I can break it, right?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: list numbering

Post by KevinDAmery »

I'm not 100% clear what you're after, but if it is what I think it is, just use the indent button on the tool bar to indent the appropriate items. That makes them subordinate to the list item above them and restarts the numbering.

One big gotcha, though: if you do it this way, I haven't found a good way to return to the original number sequence - when you move an item back to the non-indented level, Flare insists on making it a paragraph item instead of a list item. The workaround is to create all of the list items at the same level, then go back and indent the appropriate items.

Incidentally, you can also use Complex Selectors in the stylesheet to automatically change the numbering style. For example, I set my indented lists to use a, b, c, etc. instead of numbers: you could also use roman numerals if you prefer. I think it's a good idea not to use the same number style, because it helps readers to navigate where they are in the list and to see that the indented items are a subset of the item above them.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

KevinDAmery wrote:One big gotcha, though: if you do it this way, I haven't found a good way to return to the original number sequence - when you move an item back to the non-indented level, Flare insists on making it a paragraph item instead of a list item. The workaround is to create all of the list items at the same level, then go back and indent the appropriate items.
I don't have Flare open at the moment, but I believe if you outdent and it goes to a <p> tag instead of the first-level list item, then you can click the list icon again and it'll go back to the first-level list and continue the numbering.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Ah, that's it - but you have to move left 2 times before telling it to restart numbering. A bit annoying, but it works.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare