Bold step numbers?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Harrison73
Propeller Head

Bold step numbers?

Post by Harrison73 »

I have what I thought was a very simple problem, but it's turning out to be more than I expected. I'm using the standard HTML lists in Flare, and have tweaked the default ol/ul/li styles to almost give me the presentation I want. The only thing is I wanted my ordered step numbers to be bold and the rest of the step text normal (e.g., 1. Click this..)
But after setting numerous combinations of properties I can't figure out anyway to get this formatting with the standard lists. Has anyone accomplished this, or know if it's possible?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Bold step numbers?

Post by LTinker68 »

I think the only way you can do it with the standard lists is to set the <li> tag to be bold, then when you add a list item, you apply a span tag to the text in the line item to make it not bold. So the code would be something like:

Code: Select all

<ol>
   <li><span class="notBold">This is the text for line 1.</li>
   <li><span class="notBold">This is the text for line 2.</li>
</ol>
An alternative method would be to use an auto-numbering setup with a span class specified for the number portion. See this post for more information -> http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... ber#p33187

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Harrison73
Propeller Head

Post by Harrison73 »

Thanks! I've already discounted an "auto-numbering setup" because it caused us some other problems with what we were trying to do, and I also don't think I want to make people apply a span-class to each list item. It was only for our printed output (which is secondary) that I was wanting bold list numbers, so I think I'm happy enough to live without them. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious and easy.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

If you follow the process in the post Lisa linked to, you'll see that writers do not manually apply the span class. Instead, you define a span class which then gets called by the autonumber format code in the css.

What problems did you encounter with auto-number? Maybe we can help you resolve those.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Harrison73
Propeller Head

Post by Harrison73 »

Well, if I was using an auto-numbered style, then I see how I can just call the span call by the autonumber format code.. But I don't think I can "automate" anything like that with the "standard" lists I am using.

I'd much prefer to use some auto-number styles, as I'd already created several which were working great. Unfortunately, I found the wrapping on auto-number styles did not translate properly to my FrameMaker output (looked perfect in the Help, though) and noticed someone in one of the other forums had logged that issue as a bug.