Invalid Line Height Messages

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Invalid Line Height Messages

Post by todd.richardson »

The Messages tab in Flare has been displaying warnings for Invalid Line Height in several topics in my project. The message reads:

<Project Path>CSS: Invalid line-height: LT

I could not find an instance of this line-height in my stylesheet, but I do use a custom font for some print medium styles called "Avenir LT 55 Roman." In the styles where this font is used, the line-height is not set.

Anyone have an idea for what might be causing these messages?

Thanks.
Todd Richardson
Engineering Team Lead – Customer Experience | IntervalZero

Windows 10, Flare 2020
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Invalid Line Height Messages

Post by LTinker68 »

You're not using a less than sign (<) anywhere in the stylesheet, are you?

And on lines where you are specifying a line height -- make sure that you've properly ended the declaration with a semi-colon. If you don't, then it'll add the next line as part of the property declaration until it stops at the next semi-colon.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Thanks - I will check the stylesheet for any such instances.
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

I did not find any instances where a "less than" symbol (<) was used, and all declarations seem to be properly ended with a semi-colon. Any other ideas?
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

todd.richardson wrote:... but I do use a custom font for some print medium styles called "Avenir LT 55 Roman."
I'm assuming that font name is also in quotes in the stylesheet (when viewed through the Internal Text Editor).

If you replace that font with something else, like Times New Roman, then does the problem disappear?

Lisa
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

If I set our custom font, Avenir LT 55 Roman, as the 'font' value, a line-height value of 'LT' is automatically applied. However, I can reset that value to the default, and when I do, the messages still appear. I also tried removing the custom font entirely and replacing it with 'Arial', but it didn't seem to make a difference. I still encountered the line height warnings in the topic.

What's strange is, I am unable to enter or replace text when these messages appear. I'll submit this part of it as a bug.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Try this... Make a copy of your stylesheet and save it somewhere outside the project. Create a new project. Copy the (clean) stylesheet from that new project into the project having a problem (changing the name of the stylesheet to match, if necessary). Open the problem project with its new (clean) stylesheet and see if it still gives you a problem.

If it does, then I'd contact MadCap support and see if you can send them your project to troubleshoot.

If it doesn't, then open the new stylesheet file in the Internal Text Editor. Using Notepad, open the old version of the stylesheet. Copy styles from the old stylesheet to the new stylesheet one at a time. Periodically save the new stylesheet with the modifications and build the project to see if you still get the error. If you don't, proceed with the next copy-and-paste. If you do, then you know the problem was with the last style(s) that you copied in, so you can either edit the styles so that you don't get the error or delete those styles and rebuild them from scratch.

One last thing to check... Did you select that same style in the Skins Editor? If so, you might want to change those references in the skin to a different font to see if that's where the problem is, too.

Lisa
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Thanks - I will try this when I get a chance.
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

I did as suggested and still encountered the problem. I am working with MadCap support on this. I'll post the fix when/if it becomes known.

Thanks.
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

This problem sounds a bit suspicious because the letters 'LT' in the font name are the same as the code for the < symbol (<).
Could Flare be interpreting LT as a < symbol?

It also sounds a bit odd that you still get the problem when you remove all references to the font.
One thing I thought about is that Flare stores a list of recently used font families in registry ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MadCap Software\Flare\Default]). Now, I've no idea if that's related to the problem at all, but it is somewhere else that font names are stored.