Add image to See Also menu item

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
DeanCloutier
Jr. Propeller Head

Add image to See Also menu item

Post by DeanCloutier »

I want to add a check mark icon / image to the active page title, in See Also menus. Does anyone know Which CSS element and property I should define to add a check mark to the active page title in a see also menu.

I thought it was the HelpControlMenuItem, but it isn't. Do I need to add a pseudo class to Madcap|Concept, or is there a property in unclassified, or is it in an Link psuedo class?

It would simplify the way I am using Concept link entries if I could mark the active page.

I am using Flare 4 and Analyzer v2, and I am developing a significant love/hate relationship with Analyzer;
I love that it finds my weaknesses, I hate that it finds my weaknesses. :twisted:

Thanks
-Dean
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Add image to See Also menu item

Post by SteveS »

Hi Dean,

Welcome to the forums!

Not sure if I'm on the right track but if you want a checkmark as part of your title you could try using the decimal equivelant in the title property for the topic - .

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

No need to yell at the guy! :lol:
DeanCloutier
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by DeanCloutier »

Thanks Steve, that's not quite it.

I've attached a .png of what I am trying to achieve; its a screen dump out of a See Also list in the Flare v4 Help.
I want a check mark (or an arrow, or a bullet, or any kind of image or text flag) to appear next to the active topic in the See Also list.

in the .png , the topic About Styles and Style Sheets is the current active topic, and it also appears in the See Also list. Since its the active topic I it's marked, so users don't bother to click a link to a page that they are already on.

It's got to be controlled by one of the alink:active pseudo classes, but I don't know which one.

Anyone?

Thanks,
-Dean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

The Flare WebHelp is available from here:
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/webhelp/flare/
What you could do is go to a topic with that type of See Also links, look at the page source, and from that determine the style used. The download the style sheet or search for it in the browser cache.
Or you could ask MadCap support "How the heck did you guys do that?" I am sure they will tell you.
DeanCloutier
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by DeanCloutier »

Hi Ramon,
Yep, already tried that but the Flare Web help See Also links don't apply that style. I've also looked in several Flare files on my PC and can't find which style controls it.

I used to be able to open some Flare help topics in the xml editor but even that method of dissection hasn't been working lately (or I haven't re-found the files that will open). I guess I will have to ask MadCap support.

I wonder, how do other Flare users manage the active title in the see also list?
I really don't want to put a self-referential link on page, and I don't want to use several concept terms to manage a single concept set.

BTW how do I ask MadCap support a question?
Thanks
-Dean
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

The ticked item in the Concept links box only works in the DotNet Help target, it doesn't appear in other outputs like WebHelp.

Also, you can't edit the styles to include a tick, as there isn't a specific style for the current topic - each link in the output uses the same style.
DeanCloutier
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by DeanCloutier »

Thanks David,
That explains it!
What's your advice for managing/eliminating/marking self referential links in See Also lists?
-Dean