Assigning a list style to style class that was added

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Jane Dudgeon
Propeller Head

Assigning a list style to style class that was added

Post by Jane Dudgeon »

I am very new to CSS and Flare. Hope someone out there will help me please? My employer will not pay for customer Helpdesk support maintenance.

I'm trying to create a style for a numbered list that has double spacing between the items in the list. I could go to the li style and modify it there. But I wanted to create and add a class that does the double spacing. So, I went to the default stylesheet and clicked on the li style. I clicked Add Class and called it listdouble and saved the stylesheet.

Then I went back into the topic that has the list. I selected the items in the list. This automatically gave the items in the list the li tag, which is single spaced. Then, I clicked View>Style Window to see if the new added listdouble style was there. I do not see the listdouble style in the style window.

What am I doing wrong here? I have read Scott DeLoach's book on MadCap Flare for RH users. On page 131 he talks about creating an auto-number style. I tried very hard to follow his steps and figure it out, but it does not work as he explains. I have looked up the online Help on list styles. The online Help topic told me do what I've just described.

So, can someone tell me why the new style I just created does not appear in the style window please?

Thanks.

Jane Dudgeon
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Assigning a list style to style class that was added

Post by lacastle »

You got the first step right for creating the li class. However, when you're back in the XML editor, do not select (highlight) text to change its style. That gives you character styles (I think) instead of paragraph styles. Just click/move your cursor to the text you want to change and choose a new style. (Instead of View>Style Window every time, you can just click F12 to open the Style pane.)

When you click on the text you want to be listdouble, first make sure you click the bullets icon in the toolbar to give the text the li tag. When you do that, the styles in your Style pane will change to li styles and you should be able to pick listdouble.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Assigning a list style to style class that was added

Post by NorthEast »

Assuming you want all the items in the list to have the same spacing, it'd be a lot easier to set up a class for the list tag (ol) rather than the list item tag (li).

The trouble with setting the spacing in the list item tag (li) is that you'd need to apply that class to every single line in the list, whereas if you set the property for the list tag (ol) then you only need to apply the class once (the spacing is inherited by each line in that list).

For example, in your stylesheet you might have:

Code: Select all

ol.double
{
	line-height: 200%;
}
Then to apply this class in a topic, you'd right-click the ol tag and select Style Class > ol.double.