I need one column of 2column fixed width.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

I need one column of 2column fixed width.

Post by ChristyPatton »

Flare 4. I have note tables. each table consists of 2 columns. I need the left column to be 100px for every table. The right can auto adjust. I know how to use the 'ruler' to drag and drop column width. But I have to do this for every column. I created a td.techtip tag just for the fixed width column and set cell>width to 100px. It isn't affecting the tables at all. I confirmed the tables have td.techtip applied. When I drag and drop the ruler, I find the <col style="width: 100px;"/> in the underlying code and it works. Since I can see it in code and make it work manually, what field on the stylesheet should I be looking for?

LOVE LEARNING THIS STUFF!!!!
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: I need one column of 2column fixed width.

Post by LTinker68 »

Actually, the easier thing might be to create a snippet with a blank table with "techtip" class applied to the first column. When you insert the snippet into a topic, you then right-click on it and select "convert to text". And if your first column contains an image, you can insert that into the first column in the snippet.

Also, open the snippet file using the Internal Text Editor and make sure there isn't any extraneous code on the table tag. Flare throws some inline stuff in and sometimes that screws things up, which is why I went the snippet route. For instance, I wanted a table to be .5 inches from the left margin, but Flare had margin-left and margin-right properties set to auto, which forced it to be centered on the page instead of .5 inches from the left margin. So instead of having to creating the table in each topic, set it to be default alignment, set it to have borders collapsed, and so on and so on, I just created a two column two row table in a snippet as a starting point. When I add it to a topic and convert it to text, it keeps its position and other parameters but becomes editable so that I can add stuff.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: I need one column of 2column fixed width.

Post by ChristyPatton »

I'm going to give it a try. this is a contract position and I am trying to automate as much as possible so that after I am gone, the format they want carries on without fuss.

thank you!
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0