Previewing Topics

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
Zakk
Jr. Propeller Head

Previewing Topics

Post by Zakk »

We recently brought Contributor v3 and today was the first time that we installed it. Everything is fine and it looks like a powerful reviewing tool, however we are mainly going to use it for proofreading. The problem that we seem to have is that we cannot view the sent topic in preview (without the bookmarks or table borders etc).

Am I being blind or is there a way to preview the sent topics?

Many Thanks
Technical Author
Flare V7
Contributor v3
gsm1
Propeller Head

Re: Previewing Topics in Contributor

Post by gsm1 »

My reviewers would also LOVE to have a preview function in their versions of (full license) Contributor that duplicates the version found in Flare.
Reviewers want to see and edit clean text, not the tags and frames that a tech writer has to deal with.
Zakk's comment was dated 2011, I believe. This is 2017. Good grief.
jhyde
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Previewing Topics

Post by jhyde »

I'll echo this sentiment. From the Flare authoring side this product works great. In conversing with a reviewer, and further exploring the topic myself, I was surprised to not find a preview function. A preview function for Contributor would be really helpful for those reviewing/editing content.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Previewing Topics

Post by Nita Beck »

For Contributor to produce a preview of a topic, it would need all the other Flare files that would affect said preview: the style sheet(s), the table stylesheet(s) if any, the master page(s) for previewing as if for online output, and the page layouts as if for print output (and even with the page layouts, which pages come into play would depend on TOC settings). I'm not dismissing the desire for preview. Rather, preview depends on a lot of stuff well beyond the topic or snippet file itself.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!