SMEs creating content with hyperlinks

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
JDV
Jr. Propeller Head

SMEs creating content with hyperlinks

Post by JDV »

I'm fairly new to Flare and completely new to Contributor. My situation is that I'll be compiling a new 100+ plus user guide for our product and a lot of the material will be supplied by SMEs (using Contributor, I hope). I've read through the "Review Workflow" and "Contributions Workflow" sections of the Flare help, and it's very informative, but there's one thing I just don't get...

I'm expecting SME's to create/edit a number of topics and add new material that includes hyperlinks (or cross-references, but I'm currently favouring hyperlinks) between those topics. Yet in Contributor, it seems that I can only create hyperlinks to other sections of the same topic. I don't really care whether the SME's create their own topics, or whether I have to create the topics myself and send them as a review package - I'll do whatever works best.

Surely this is achievable without them having to purchase Flare?
FormlessOne
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: SMEs creating content with hyperlinks

Post by FormlessOne »

My contributors are also encountering this issue, and it's a somewhat large issue given the size of the review packages we're sending to them. Is this limitation hard-coded into Contributor, or is there a setting or permission that we can use to allow contributors to create hyperlinks and cross-references to other documents within a review package?
Judith
Propeller Head

Post by Judith »

I also have this problem. At them moment, I've asked them to write the text with an annotation to me to turn it into a cross-reference.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

JDV wrote:?..that includes hyperlinks (or cross-references, but I'm currently favouring hyperlinks) between topics.
Digressing a little from the original question...

The advantage of cross-references is that if the heading of the destination topic ever changes, Flare will automatically have the xref use the new wording when you do a build. That's very handy; much less work than maintaining the text of hyperlinks.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
crownjulesb
Propeller Head

Post by crownjulesb »

This is a reply 4 years after this topic was started, and I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. People using contributor cannot create cross-references BETWEEN topics, even within the same review package.

Why is this still an issue? It seems like an obvious feature that is desperately needed in Contributor.