Contributor: Review Package

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
boucherl
Jr. Propeller Head

Contributor: Review Package

Post by boucherl »

Hello,

I've downloaded a trial version of Contributor. When attempting to create a Review Package I get the message:

"Unable to create review package: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I have no idea what this is referring to. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
L. Boucher
mpetriw
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Contributor: Review Package

Post by mpetriw »

I don't know what that means but it sounds like maybe you skipped some step? If you spell out the steps you took to create the review package in detail, maybe someone will be able to spot the error. I'm pretty new to Flare as well.
bm2i
Propeller Head

Post by bm2i »

I am having the same problem (I realize that the original post is two years old...but it's new to me).

I have a project open. I have a normal page open. I go to Review -> Send for Review. I click on Save.

Unable to create review package: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have many projects...tested five of them, all got the same error. So I'm clearly doing something wrong. A co-worker (different projects than mine) doesn't get the error.

Sure, you can say 'compare the two projects to see where the differences are' but I don't even know where to begin to start looking. Judging from the lack of movement on this issue...I'm not holding out hope here.
kkelleher
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by kkelleher »

Hi bm2i,

This error is a 'generic' .Net issue that usually indicates that something is 'squirrely' in one of your project files. A Google search of the Madcap website returns plenty of topics from this forum.

We ran into this error pretty frequently in v10, and had to get help from MadCap Tech Support. In many cases, once we identified the file causing the issue, we were able to fix it by adding blank lines (returns) to the end of the offending file. If you can't figure out which file is causing the error, MadCap Tech Support can probably take a look at your project and tell you.

Thanks,

Kristen
Kristen Kelleher
Director of Tech Pubs, TIBCO Jaspersoft
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

A default first step for me is to close the project and delete the Analyzer and Output folders, then open it up and start again. Flare sometimes gets in a tizz with those two folders.

If you still have problems, a default second step is to check that your .NET is up to date. That can sometimes get messed up (but don't ask me how!)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I agree that there's some file somewhere that's hosed (corrupted). It could be one of the files you're trying to send out for review, or one of the files that *those* files are linked to, such as a stylesheet.

Does building work? If there's a file hosed somewhere, I'd build my target to see if it fails. If the build does fail, check the build log to see where the process stopped. That could help you to locate the file that's hosed.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

You might have a look at what version of Office you're running.
I'm not fully certain because it's been a while, but I think I was getting this error when I tried to send packages via Outlook. If this is THAT error (I may be misremembering), it turned out I was running a 64-bit version of Outlook, which is not supported by Flare/Contributor. I had to retreat to a 32-bit version of MS Office and that solved the problem.
-Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.