Image captions

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
okonvick
Propeller Head

Image captions

Post by okonvick »

Hi all,

what I'm trying to accomplish is simple really.

I want screenshots in our manuals be a div with centered image and a centered caption right below it. To do that, I have created a snippet with a placeholder image which I wanted to insert into the topic in Contributor and then to convert it to text and then to swap the placeholder for the desired image. Sadly, unlike Flare, Contributor doesn't seem to provide the convert to text function.

So how do you solve this? I cannot force the authors to always create a div, apply a class to it, then insert an image and write a description below it still in the div. Is there some best practice for this? The only thing that came across my mind is to supply the image "template" div with the placeholder and a description example in the contribution template from which the authors could copy it over and over again, but that doesn't seem very practical to me. I also need this to be feasible in Contributor and not only in Flare.

Thanks,
Ondrej
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Image captions

Post by Nita Beck »

I use the same div technique you use in my Flare projects. I have a div called div.Figure, a p style called p.Figure, and a style called p.FigureTitle. I too have a snippet with the whole thing set up and I too convert it to live text and go from there.

I guess what I'd do is have a Contributor template that has the div already in place as live text. The Contributor user then just replaces the placeholder image with the real image and the placeholder caption with the real caption. And if the topic the Contributor user is drafting ends up not having a figure in it, he or she can just delete the div.

Meantime, your Flare authors can insert the snippet and convert to live text, just as you intend.

p.s. Good luck getting your Czech Flare User Group off the ground! :D
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
okonvick
Propeller Head

Re: Image captions

Post by okonvick »

Yeah, thanks too. I'm curious to see how this will turn up in a month or two.