Different versions

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
smajors
Sr. Propeller Head

Different versions

Post by smajors »

I have been using Contributor v4 with Flare v10 but noticed there's a newer version of Contributor (v7) so am using the free mode to see if there are any differences. I haven't noticed any drastic differences that would warrant me to request all SMEs and contributors to update from v4 to v7. Am I missing something and would this be okay to stick with v4? Note that company wide we all use only the free version.

Thanks!
Technical Writer
Training & Development Team/Marketing Department
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Different versions

Post by doc_guy »

Contributor versions tie to Flare versions, so I wish they were numbered the same, but they aren't.

For Flare 10, use Contributor 6. For Flare 11, use Contributor 7. If you aren't upgrading Flare, then I wouldn't upgrade Contributor. If you use mis-matching versions of Flare and Contributor you may see unexpected results if Contributor isn't aware of the features supported by the version of Flare you're using.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Oh, and from version 4 to version 6 (the Contributor version supported by Flare 10), you'd notice a different if your topics include some of the newer Flare 10 features like slideshows. I don't think a topic with slideshows would work well in Reviewer 4. Best practice, in my opinion, is to keep the Contributor versions in sync with their supported Flare versions.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

smajors
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by smajors »

That helps. Thanks for your response!
Technical Writer
Training & Development Team/Marketing Department