Sending reviewed files back to writer

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
sarahb
Propeller Head

Sending reviewed files back to writer

Post by sarahb »

New user to Contributor, so be gentle. ;)

Our writers create content in Flare. Our team also includes copy editors to edit the content of our writers. In Flare, the writers save the content requiring review as an .fltrev file and place it on our SVN server for the editors (we do not want to "send for review" over email). The editors open the .fltrev package in Contributor and make their edits. This is where I get stuck in the process. In Contributor, how does the editor save the reviewed content as a file they can get back to the writer in Flare? The Return to Sender option attempts to send over email. Is there an option I'm missing somewhere to save as a file?

We do have the fully licensed version of Contributor.
sarahb
Propeller Head

Re: Sending reviewed files back to writer

Post by sarahb »

Received the answer. The review package file that is sent from the writer in Flare is just saved over by the editor. So once the editor is done with the review in Contributor, they save the package (which re-saves the file), and the writer opens the file in Flare and selects the "Copy to Inbox of corresponding Flare project".

IMO, it would be nice if the editor could do a "save as", so the file name could provide some sort of indication that the review package has been edited.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Sending reviewed files back to writer

Post by doc_guy »

Here is a bit of unsolicited advice (so it may be worth what you paid for it...)

SVN is really not a good choice for this type of activity. SVN is a source control repository. It is not a network share. You are using it like it is a network share where you can temporarily store and share files with other people. This muddies up your source control repository, using A LOT of extra space in your repo, and makes it more difficult to work with branches and tags in your system.

I highly recommend you use a different solution, like a network share, for this type of file sharing, rather than using your source control tool.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog